Five quick tips to keep fresh, clean during fall semester

With the semester off to a quick start, you may forget about staying polished while you’re burying your nose in your textbooks – ends may split, nails may chip and brows may become unruly.

But staying fresh, clean and well-groomed doesn’t have to be so difficult. Check out these five tips for keeping a fresh face for the fall semester.

Manicure/pedicure

Nothing is as quick and easy (and inexpensive) as a manicure and a pedicure. Beyond Nails, located within Red Road Commons, will not only get the job done, but it’s also close to campus.

Sit back in the salon’s large black-vinyl pedicure chairs, and relax while you have your cuticles pushed back. And you’ll have a wide selection of Essie and OPI colors – they always carry the hottest hues!

For prices, call 305-669-0800. Beyond Nails is located at 6600 SW 57th Ave., South Miami. 

Hair

So your summer highlights have come and gone, and your roots are taking over. Or maybe you’re just desperate for a cut and a blowout. Either way, H20 Salon & Spa has you covered. Ask for Maggie Ruiz and you’re  sure to leave the salon looking good; she’s great with everything from hair coloring to hair cuts. She even does the Keratin hair treatment for those who are sick of having frizzy hair due to Miami’s out-of-control humidity. And if you’re looking for full-on pampering, ask for Daris Diaz. She can do wonders with your nails, while Maggie is perfecting your locks.

For prices and to make an appointment, call 305-446-9818. H20 Salon & Spa is located at 1400 Salzedo St., Suite 105, Coral Gables.

Makeup

Wearing makeup to school every day can clog pores and even hurt your eyes. Still, there’s no need to look like an ogre in class, especially when YouTube has the answers to your makeup woes. Check out Carli Bybel’s YouTube channel. She has dozens of tutorials and how-to videos available. And, best of all, Carli instructs you on easy hair tips, too – all for free!

Visit Carli Bybel’s YouTube channel at youtube.com/carlibel5. 

Facial

Experts recommend facials at least two to three times a year to help keep pores clean. Still, facials tend to ooze hefty price tags. At Skin Institute in North Miami, specialists offer one-of-a-kind service for supreme results. Although it is a bit far from campus, the Skin Institute is worth the trip. The variety of massage and facial packages available, all for reasonable costs, make the trip worth the while.

For prices, call the Skin Institute at 305-371-7435, email skininstitute@aol.com or visit skininstituteusa.com. The Skin Institute is located at 13499 Biscayne Blvd., North Miami.

Eyebrows

If you’re looking to avoid caterpillar eyebrows, Nordstrom at Merrick Park’s Anastasia Brows department is the place to go. The department’s trained specialists won’t over-trim your eyebrows either. The experts know how to maintain clean, broad brows. Though eyebrow shaping costs $30, every dollar is truly worth it.

Nordstrom at Merrick Park is located at 4310 Ponce de Leon Blvd., Coral Gables. Call 786-999-1313 to make an appointment.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...