US relationship with Israel a key, but overlooked issue

In the next few weeks, we will hear President Obama and Gov. Romney debate on a litany of issues including the economy, energy, healthcare and foreign policy. One issue that will not receive such a spotlight, but is of great importance, is the U.S. relationship with Israel.

Israel is a representative democracy in the Middle East and a leader in top-notch technologies like microchips, life-saving vaccines, and clean-energy generation. It has also been the homeland of the Jewish people for 3,000 years. Israel is an irreplaceable, Middle Eastern ally of America.

Although Israel is safe to visit and live in, it faces a grave danger from abroad, a nuclear-powered Iran. Iran’s President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad denies the Holocaust and wants to wipe Israel “off the face of the map.” Iran’s proxies have been at the forefront of deadly bombings in India, Bulgaria and Georgia, and have even attempted to assassinate the Saudi ambassador on American soil.

Iran also sponsors the terrorist group Hezbollah in Southern Lebanon and is the main backer of vicious tyrant Bashar Al-Assad of Syria, who has slaughtered more than 10,000 of his own people.

The threat to Israel and the U.S. is both real and imminent. As each day passes, Iran is one day closer to possessing a game-changing nuclear weapon.

Obama has an exemplary record fighting for Israel’s security and prosperity. He fought for the passage of the Iron Dome missile defense system, increased security assistance for Israel, and crippling sanctions against Iran’s banking and petrochemical industries. Furthermore, Obama stood up to a United Nations resolution that would have unilaterally declared Palestine a state and derailed the peace process.

Romney has visited Israel several times as a private citizen and has known Prime Minister Netanyahu for many years. Romney has also been unwavering in his admiration of Israel.

As such, I would like to thank both candidates for their strong support of the U.S. relationship with Israel. However, many of these accomplishments are not possible without a pro-Israel Congress. We need to support and elect congressmen with strong pro-Israel records into office.  Congress has been plagued by tumult and partisanship over the last few years, but Israel has remained an issue that unites Republicans and Democrats.

No matter the outcome of the elections in November, it is critical that we strengthen the sanctions against Iran and do everything in our power to prevent Iran from developing a nuclear weapon. Not only will these sanctions protect Israel and the U.S., but they will also guard the world from the violence and threats of Iran.

Jordan Lewis is a senior majoring in political science. 

Jordan Lewis

4 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “US relationship with Israel a key, but overlooked issue”

1. Arafat says:

Alyssa the democracies you are fantasizing about are called theocracies and in these instances they are theocracies where individuals have no freedom particularly women like you.

Rob, the reason Islamists are Islamists is because of Islam, not Israel. Islam is a supremacist religion whose prophet was a megalomaniac. It is little wonder wherever we see Islam we see repression, fear, sadism and poverty.

2. alyssa says:

There are so many new democracies forming over there now, with (surprising to most Americans) competant and thoughtful pro Islamic leadership that relationship we have had with Israel is no longer reasonable. I don’t. Think we should sever ties with Israel at all. But it would be suicide for Israel to have us ignore xountries like Egypt and possibly a new Syria. It is one thing to befriend or make enemies with a dictator, and it is quite a dangerous thing to infuriate a country with free and democratic elections. Everyone has to make piece with the masses now, because no treaty can or will hold if the people of that country can elect someone new. It. Will not be easy, but we are all going to have to go back and relearn the word compromise.

3. Rob says:

The reason why we face Islamic terrorism today is because of our enduring military support for Israel. The US has long supplied Israel with the funds, weapons and technology that helped displace thousands of Palestinians and carry out numerous wars. For years, we have written Israel a blank check with little oversight of how the money is spent. The checks we signed have only implicated the United States in a series of foreign disputes that have little effect upon Americans– except for those who have fallen victim to retaliatory terrorist violence. Continuing to fund Israel’s wars and territorial expansion only perpetuates violence against Americans, Westerners, Jews, and Christians abroad. How can you consider our ties with Israel to be a strategic alliance when the result has only been less than favorable?

4. Adam says:

The US should be looking out for the best interests of Americans, not the best interests of Israel. We need to take care of our own first before we go help everyone else. Just look at Egypt, Sudan, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and even Viet Nam.

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...