Lupe Fiasco to perform at Oct. 19 Homecoming concert

Photo courtesy press.atlanticrecords.com

Hurricane Productions (HP) has announced that Lupe Fiasco will perform at this year’s Homecoming concert on Oct. 19 at the BankUnited Center.

The announcement was made on Tuesday afternoon on the Rock.

“We just wanted a fun way of letting everyone know at the same time, orgs included,” said senior Julian Malagon, the concerts chair for HP. “In the past there has been a bit of controversy about who should be told first, so this avoided that issue.”

Each year, HP uses an online survey to gauge which performers students are most interested in seeing at Homecoming. Lupe was not included in this year’s survey, but he was among the top most voted for the 2011 concert.

“We involve the student body whenever feasible to provide the best events possible,” HP Chair Tanner Simkins said. “We developed a thorough survey system that we distributed via the university’s social media outlets.”

Student Government President Nawara Alawa is thrilled about HP’s announcement.

“I’m really excited because Lupe is actually my favorite rapper,” SG President Nawara Alawa said. “Congrats to HP for bringing such a big name to campus.”

Sophomore Caroline De Freitas is satisfied with this year’s Homecoming headliner, though she noted that other students would have enjoyed a change from the hip-hop artists that have performed at Homecoming the last few years.

“My exact reaction to hearing it was, ‘Lupe? I guess I can deal with that,’” De Freitas said. “It’s a free concert, so no one should be complaining. But I think a lot of students would’ve preferred a different style this year.”

Past performers include Ludacris who came to campus last October, Lauryn Hill who performed in 2010, and Common who headlined the 2009 concert.

Lupe declined HP’s offer to perform at last year’s concert, but this time around the two sides were able to coordinate timing and cost for the event.

“It worked out. He has an album coming out next week and fits the image that we wanted,” Malagon said.

In addition to his performance, WVUM will play Lupe’s music in Malagon’s specialty show, “The Hip Hop Shop.” Malagon said that his show aims to expose UM students to underground and old school music. Since most of Lupe’s music isn’t played on the radio, it struck the right balance between underground and popular.

Tickets to the performance will be available to students and alumni. HP will distribute floor and general admission passes starting Oct. 1 at the UC. Students may pick up additional guest tickets, if any are available, beginning Oct. 8.

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

Spencer Dandes

4 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Lupe Fiasco to perform at Oct. 19 Homecoming concert”

1. steph says:

Is this only for students? Can’t others buy the tickets?

2. Kev says:

FIU got Kaskade… FIU 1 UM 0

3. christina says:

I can’t believe it’s my last year at the U and we get FIU sloppy seconds.

4. gabe says:

Is this for students only?

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...