Why leave tickets up to chance?

Many entered. Few won. And the losers were left in the dark.

Such were the results of a lottery system implemented to distribute student tickets for the Univision events featuring President Barack Obama and Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney at the BankUnited Center Fieldhouse this week.

When an email about the lottery was sent to the student body Tuesday evening, the Division of Student Affairs made it clear that priority access would be granted to student members of UM College Republicans, UM Young and College Democrats, and other affiliated organizations on campus including SpectrUM, Student Government and the Federacion for Estudiantes Cubanos.

What makes political organizations and their affiliates more entitled to an event than other organizations? Just because students don’t have an active civic role on campus does not mean they’re not interested in politics.

Because such a limited amount of tickets were available for these events, priority access should not have been granted. The organizations, which were guaranteed tickets, did not organize the candidates’ events. All students should have had the same opportunity to obtain a ticket.

This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, but the chances to receive a ticket to the event should not be one in a million. It isn’t right that some students will be able to graduate UM with the memory of seeing Obama and Romney, while others only wished they had that memory.

Though the concept of a contest essentially means that some individuals aren’t going to win, all students should have been told whom the organizations affiliated with the political parties were. And students who were not granted a ticket should have been notified via email.

Space in the Fieldhouse may be limited, but the BankUnited Center holds up to 8,000 people. Therefore, it would be possible to stream the events live in the BUC and allow students to enter on a first come, first serve basis. If not, maybe no students should be allowed to attend.

We all have one thing in common: We can vote, and our votes can make a difference. Give us all the opportunity to participate.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Why leave tickets up to chance?”

1. Gaurav says:

I have to agree with Jordan on this one. Those individuals who have volunteered with these campaigns in some capacity, especially College Republicans and Democrats, SHOULD receive priority access simply based on their previous efforts. Take it as a big thankyou, if you will. Frankly, whenever these events come around, I see that many students who never really cared for politics all of a sudden get inspired to camp out for tickets but never really do anything to help the candidates before the events. The only thing that I agree with you on is that students who did not get tickets from the lottery should have been notified.

2. Jordan says:

Gonna provide a counter-argument here:
    1. College Democrats did NOT get all the tickets we were promised.
    2. The individuals in these organizations worked for the campaigns and it was an opportunity to reward them while adding depth and context to the event.
    3. It would all come down to chance anyway. Not everybody can get in, somebody’s gonna have their feelings hurt.
    4. Continue to vote, there isn’t space for every voter to get a ticket, that’s just the way it happened. There was a very limited amount of student tickets that went out.

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...