Fundraising campaign for new architecture building in full swing

With the anticipated completion of new campus structures such as the Student Activities Center and the Neuroscience Building, architecture may be next on the list.

The School of Architecture has begun a fundraising campaign with the hopes of erecting a new Design Build Studio.

Lamar Noriega, director of development for the school, believes the new studio will provide an open space for students to gain hands-on experience and learn how to collaborate.

“Creativity seems higher when architecture students are able to design in an open space together,” she said. “The new building will ideally house two studios with 60 students per studio.”

The project is currently planned to cost between $6 million and $7 million.

“We hope to raise at least $3 million,” Noriega said.

The plans for the design studio are in the hands of Bernardo Fort-Brescia at Arquitectonica, the firm also responsible for the SAC.

The tentatively planned location for the new Design Build studio is adjacent to the Perez Architecture Center on Dickinson Drive, where student apartments once stood.

Although the Design Studio is the currently the main focus of the campaign, a new library might also be in the school’s future, housing all of UM’s architecture collections. They are currently housed between the Richter Library and the Paul Buisson Architecture Library.

With the current architecture library being limited in both resources and space, the idea of a new building is exciting to current students.

Graduate student Carlo Zepeda rarely uses the current library opting instead to study at home or in Richter.

“A new library should make students feel like they belong, like they really are architecture students,” he said.

For more information on contributing to the School of Architecture, contact Lamar Noriega at 305-284-1563 or lnoriega@miami.edu.

Emelia Nunn

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...