Fundraising campaign for new architecture building in full swing

With the anticipated completion of new campus structures such as the Student Activities Center and the Neuroscience Building, architecture may be next on the list.

The School of Architecture has begun a fundraising campaign with the hopes of erecting a new Design Build Studio.

Lamar Noriega, director of development for the school, believes the new studio will provide an open space for students to gain hands-on experience and learn how to collaborate.

“Creativity seems higher when architecture students are able to design in an open space together,” she said. “The new building will ideally house two studios with 60 students per studio.”

The project is currently planned to cost between $6 million and $7 million.

“We hope to raise at least $3 million,” Noriega said.

The plans for the design studio are in the hands of Bernardo Fort-Brescia at Arquitectonica, the firm also responsible for the SAC.

The tentatively planned location for the new Design Build studio is adjacent to the Perez Architecture Center on Dickinson Drive, where student apartments once stood.

Although the Design Studio is the currently the main focus of the campaign, a new library might also be in the school’s future, housing all of UM’s architecture collections. They are currently housed between the Richter Library and the Paul Buisson Architecture Library.

With the current architecture library being limited in both resources and space, the idea of a new building is exciting to current students.

Graduate student Carlo Zepeda rarely uses the current library opting instead to study at home or in Richter.

“A new library should make students feel like they belong, like they really are architecture students,” he said.

For more information on contributing to the School of Architecture, contact Lamar Noriega at 305-284-1563 or lnoriega@miami.edu.

Emelia Nunn

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...