Cosford Cinema celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month with film series

This month, UM’s Bill Cosford Cinema will feature the works of five female filmmakers from Argentina, Spain, Mexico and Nicaragua.

The film series will honor Hispanic Heritage Month, which runs from Friday through Oct. 15. PRAGDA, an independent cultural organization, and the Spanish government provided grant funding to the Cosford Cinema in order to screen the Spanish-language films.

However, Cosford Cinema Director Trae DeLellis hopes to honor the women themselves in addition to their culture.

“We are trying to debunk the idea that female directors always make the same types of films,” DeLellis said.

DeLellis said the film series, called “The Spanish Lens,” is a “great mix of established filmmakers and new up-and-comers.”

The five films represent the varied perspectives and styles of these female filmmakers, both representing their personal experiences and their way of seeing the world.

“They are very different films, but united under the same idea,” DeLellis said.

Film enthusiast Monica Callava said she is looking forward to the series.

“I am really excited about this festival because of their support of female directors, which I think really differ from male filmmakers because of their sensibility and perfectionism,” she said.

Jose Castro, another film lover, agrees: “I think it is great to see women taking power and showing what they are worth.”

Admission is free for UM students with Cane Cards. General admission costs $9 and tickets for seniors and UM alumni cost $7 and $9.

In addition to the five Hispanic movies, the Cosford will also be screening other films as part of its regular programming, including “Men in Black 3,” “Rock of Ages,” “An Autumn Afternoon” and “Compliance.”

For more information about future film screenings, visit cosfordcinema.com.

The films and screening times are:

·       “The Fish Child” by Argentinian Lucia Puenzo; 7 p.m. Sept. 14 and 6 p.m. Sept. 15.

·       “Even The Rain” by Iciar Bollain of Spain; 7 p.m. Sept 21 and 6 p.m. Sept. 22.

·       “Island Inside” by Dunia Asayo and Felix Sabroso, also from Spain; 7 p.m. Sept. 28 and 6 p.m. Sept 29.

·       “The Cinema Hold-Up” by Irina Gomez Concheiro of Mexico; 7 p.m. Oct. 5 and 5:30 p.m. Oct 6.

·       “La Yuma” by Florence Jaugey of Nicaragua; 7 p.m. Oct. 12 and 6 p.m. Oct. 13

Juan Fernandez

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Cosford Cinema celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month with film series”

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he didn’t hesitat ...

1. DOLPHINS: Miami seeks revenge vs. hated, Stinkin' Jets: Dolphins host Jets Sunday with Miami ...

Notes and observations on UM’s 27-19 win against Syracuse: • A UM source said Mark Richt seemed more ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

The Miami women's tennis team split its eight matches on its second day of competition at the I ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...