UM drops six spots in U.S. News rankings, still tops in Florida

U.S. News & World Report ranked the University of Miami No. 44 in its 2013 edition of the “Best Colleges” list, released Wednesday.

Although the university continues to hold the No. 1 spot in Florida and is the only school in the state to be among the top 50 universities in the nation, UM dropped six spots from No. 38 from last year’s ranking.

“The university going up, going down or staying the same depends on factors that we cannot control,” Executive Vice President and Provost Thomas J. LeBlanc said. “I can tell you this year our SAT scores are higher and our graduation rates are better. All of our data is better, but 25 percent of the formula is a reputational survey.”

The reputational survey is sent to college and university presidents, provosts, deans of admission, and high school admission counselors across the nation. They are asked to rate each school on a scale one to five, one being the worst and five being the best. The rates are then averaged and each school is given its own score.

While the reputational survey constitutes 25 percent of the U.S. News & World Report’s formula, roughly 40 percent is based on SAT scores, class rank, freshmen retention rate and graduation rates across a six-year period. Other factors taken into account include alumni giving, faculty resources and teacher-to-student ratio.

“Having been ranked among the top 50 for the last four years, we will continue to work toward our strategic goals in all areas and to build on the remarkable achievements we’ve made over the last decade,” LeBlanc said.

Since President Donna E. Shalala joined the university in 2001, UM has risen 23 spots in U.S. News & World Report’s annual rankings, which is an “unprecedented growth for a university as young as ours,” Student Government president Nawara Alawa said.

“The rest of the world now knows what you’ve known about UM,” LeBlanc said. “They now think we’ve gotten a lot better. You all knew it, but they didn’t know it. Now, the word is out.”

Though U.S. News and World Report is the most well known and well regarded college ranking system, it does not measure factors such as cultural diversity on campus, extracurricular activities or student clubs and organizations.

“It pays too much attention on SAT, which are not good predictors of college success,” LeBlanc said. “They take state universities and compare them to private universities. They compare rich universities to poor universities. They’re pretending that these colleges are all on a single scale and that you can just rank them. It’s unfortunate that that is how it works.”

Senior Connie Fossi said that the rankings do not change her opinion of UM.

“I don’t pay attention to numbers,” Fossi said. “It doesn’t change the quality of education that our university gives to students, which is excellent.”

According to the 2013 U.S. News & World Report, UM’s fall 2011 acceptance rate was 38.3 percent, the average freshmen retention rate was 90 percent and the six-year graduation rate was 78 percent.

“It has been, and continues to be, great to be a Miami Hurricane,” Alawa said.

About Author

Elizabeth De Armas

4 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “UM drops six spots in U.S. News rankings, still tops in Florida”

1. Rob says:

I mean 100 schools in the top 50 rankings*

2. Rob says:

You can’t have 100 schools in the top 100 rankings unless you have at least 50 schools tied for one spot. When schools tie, they skip the subsequent rankings based on how many schools there are. If school X and Y are tied for 1, there will be no second place slot; the next school, Z, will be ranked 3.

3. NO NAME :)+ says:

also remember this though once we go up in rankings again

4. no name :) says:

If you also notice they score overall the universities on a scale of 1 to 100 last year we were 62 /100 this year we were 63/100 if we had increased just 2 more points we would still be #38 , so it is very misleading in that sense, so many schools are tied that soon the top 50 schools may very well have over 100 universities(tied universties share spots) . You also never know where you gain or lose points , did Alumni giving go down slightly? Did our boost from graduation rates stop, did we lose a few classes that were 1-19 due to changes in circlum/more interest in those areas? it could come from a myraid of areas that really have no impact on education.

Last year the rain fell in torrents. Wednesday was all scorching sunshine. Fifteen former Miami Hurr ...

See phtos from the University of Miami's annual Pro Day, where outgoing UM players perform for ...

Quarterback Brad Kaaya ambled out of the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence close to 3 p.m. Wed ...

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete at two of the top outdoor meets in the Uni ...

What's Pro Day like at The U? We followed along from start to finish to find out. ...

Greg Veliz delivered a sparkling performance on the hill, but Miami fell to No. 12 FGCU 3-0. ...