Obama, Romney to make back-to-back visits to campus

President Barack Obama makes a speech on energy policy at the BankUnited Fieldhouse last February. Obama and Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney will each visit campus next week to film Q&A sessions for Univision. File Photo 

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney and President Barack Obama will speak at the BankUnited Center Fieldhouse on Sept. 19 and 20, respectively.

Their visits are part of Univision broadcasts, and will air at 10 p.m. on the Spanish-language station after each event. Univision, a television station with studios and operations in Doral, will conduct both sessions in a question and answer format, with questions asked in Spanish and candidates answering in English. Translations will be provided when necessary.

Rudy Fernandez, vice president for government affairs, said that hosting both presidential candidates on campus within 24 hours of each other, and less than two months before the national election, is unique to UM.

“I don’t know of any other university that can claim that feat this election cycle,” he said. “Partnering with Univision is a key part of that. You need a network.”

Of the 750 total tickets, UM has more than 400, with 99 percent of those tickets going to students, according to Fernandez. As per each campaign’s request, UM Young and College Democrats and UM College Republicans, as well as other undergraduate political organizations, will have initial access to the student tickets.

The remaining student tickets are being distributed through a ticket lottery, which closed Wednesday. Winners will be notified by email on Thursday.

Univision, along with each presidential campaign, is responsible for distributing the remainder of the tickets.

“If you’re interested in democracy and seeing the electoral process up close, this is a great place to see it happen,” Fernandez said.

Audience members will have an opportunity to ask questions, but others will also be able to submit questions on the Univision Noticias Facebook page, which will also stream the events. Facebook is one of the sponsors.

Fernandez said that each candidate is looking to secure the Hispanic vote, a key demographic in Florida.

“You’ve got to realize that both President Obama and Governor Romney are trying to appeal to voters, particularly in this target state of Florida,” he said. “This is one of those states that is going to decide the election results.”

In 2007, the university and Univision hosted two presidential debates during the presidential primary season.

This will also mark President Obama’s second visit to the University of Miami. Earlier this year, the president also spoke at the Fieldhouse to address the United States’ energy policy. Before his speech, the president received a tour of the College of Engineering, as well as a demo of an in-house project focused on energy efficiency.

Unlike the upcoming events, the former event was solely open to UM students.

The White House decided to host the event at the Fieldhouse, in order to limit the number of attendees. President Donna E. Shalala said she tried to convince Obama and the White House to host the event in the BankUnited Center.

This time, however, the small venue was selected based on considerations about the taping of the show.

While release of the events’ information caused excitement on campus – students’ Facebook statuses reflected civic interest – other students think the visits are purely publicity stunts.

“It’s to influence college students and to get them to vote,” senior Sneha Lalla said. “The candidates don’t talk about anything. It’s just a hype.”

Fernandez is confident the candidates will be back to Miami.

“I bet you that Sept. 19 and 20 are not the last visits for these two guys in South Florida,” he said. “We are actively engaging both of the campaigns in conversations about the fact that the BankUnited Center is a great facility to conduct a last-minute rally. And I’ll leave it at that.”

Additional event details will be provided to ticket holders closer to the event date. For more information on the ticketing process, contact the Department of Student Activities at 305-284-6399.

Allison Goodman

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Obama, Romney to make back-to-back visits to campus”

1. J.C. Galvez says:

THE FACTS

The Book of Mormon

1. Book of Mormon
    The book of Mormon is more correct than the Bible, (History of the Church, vol. 4, p. 461.)
    2. Devil, the
    Jesus and Satan are spirit brothers and we were all born as siblings in heaven to them both, (Mormon Doctrine, p. 163.)
    3. God
    God used to be a man on another planet (Mormon Doctrine, p. 321; Joseph Smith, Times and Seasons, vol. 5, p. 613-614; Orson Pratt, Journal of Discourses, vol. 2, p. 345; Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 7, p. 333).
    4. God, becoming a god
    After you become a good Mormon, you have the potential of becoming a god (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 345-347, 354).
    5. God, many gods
    There are many gods (Mormon Doctrine, p. 163).
    6. God, mother goddess
    There is a mother god (Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 443).
    7. Heaven
    There are three levels of heaven: telestial, terrestrial, and celestial (Mormon Doctrine, p. 348).
    8. Holy Ghost, the
    The Holy Ghost is a male personage (A Marvelous Work and a Wonder, Le Grand Richards, Salt Lake City, 1956, p. 118; Journal of Discources, vol. 5, p. 179).
    9. Jesus
    “The birth of the Savior was as natural as are the births of our children; it was the result of natural action.” (Journal of Discourses, vol. 8, p. 115).
    10. Joseph Smith
    If it had not been for Joseph Smith and the restoration, there would be no salvation.  There is no salvation outside the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon Doctrine, p. 670).

Romney is a member of a cult that says the New Testament is false and all Christians are bound for eternal damnation. Three Gods on three planets? WTF!?

2. Don McAdam says:

Wow, back to back visits from the two major party presidential candidates. That is pretty amazing. However, if you really want to mix things up, you should also invite the Green Party’s Jill Stein.

UM students might appreciate her stances on education, free public college education to qualified students and student loan forgiveness. The Hurricanes might cheer her call to end the big-money corrupted electoral process. The system that Obama and Romney use to raise hundreds of millions of dollars from ultra wealthy donors and corporations. Students may agree with her plan to break-up the too-big-to-fail banks and restore banking regulations that were dismantled over the past decades.

I think another voice should be heard this election season. I hope enough of the students, faculty and administrators at Miami agree and ask to included Jill Stein in your political events.

USA Diving announced the recipients of its annual awards at a ceremony in conjunction with the 2017 ...