News Briefs – 9/12

FunDay Applications

FunDay is a service day in February where over 350 citizens with special needs from the Miami area are paired with UM students to spend the day together partaking in carnival activities, a barbecue, arts and crafts, and karaoke. Applications for FunDay Executive Board must be filled out and brought to the Butler Center in UC240 by Friday at 5 p.m. Students must also sign up for an interview. In addition to a freshman representative, positions include FunDay staff, FunFair, BBQ/Opening Ceremonies, Arts and Crafts, and Mystery Theater. Executive board members must be available to meet on Tuesday nights at 9 p.m. and to work at the event on Feb. 16.

Tech Talk

Jeff Benck, president and chief operating officer of Emulex, will share about his experience with climbing to the top of a public technology company that provides networking technology in data centers around the world. The talk, “Managing Innovation and Change in Tech Corporate Strategy,” will cover leadership principles how Benck applied his experience to drive innovation in his firm. Benck earned his master’s in management of technology from the College of Engineering 1994. The event is Friday at 11 a.m. in the College of Engineering’s McArthur Engineering Annex Room 202.

Order in the Court

The School of Law will host a panel discussion with Judge Alex Ferrer  of the Judge Alex Show and Judge Marilyn Milian of People’s Court on Sept. 27 at 6 p.m. in the Storer Auditorium. Both Ferrer and Milian are School of Law alumni. The event will be moderated by Thane Rosenbaum,  an essayist, law profesor and author.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Week three of fall camp began today, and the first practice after Saturday’s first scrimmage of camp ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...