News Briefs – 9/12

FunDay Applications

FunDay is a service day in February where over 350 citizens with special needs from the Miami area are paired with UM students to spend the day together partaking in carnival activities, a barbecue, arts and crafts, and karaoke. Applications for FunDay Executive Board must be filled out and brought to the Butler Center in UC240 by Friday at 5 p.m. Students must also sign up for an interview. In addition to a freshman representative, positions include FunDay staff, FunFair, BBQ/Opening Ceremonies, Arts and Crafts, and Mystery Theater. Executive board members must be available to meet on Tuesday nights at 9 p.m. and to work at the event on Feb. 16.

Tech Talk

Jeff Benck, president and chief operating officer of Emulex, will share about his experience with climbing to the top of a public technology company that provides networking technology in data centers around the world. The talk, “Managing Innovation and Change in Tech Corporate Strategy,” will cover leadership principles how Benck applied his experience to drive innovation in his firm. Benck earned his master’s in management of technology from the College of Engineering 1994. The event is Friday at 11 a.m. in the College of Engineering’s McArthur Engineering Annex Room 202.

Order in the Court

The School of Law will host a panel discussion with Judge Alex Ferrer  of the Judge Alex Show and Judge Marilyn Milian of People’s Court on Sept. 27 at 6 p.m. in the Storer Auditorium. Both Ferrer and Milian are School of Law alumni. The event will be moderated by Thane Rosenbaum,  an essayist, law profesor and author.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...