Blogs

We’re not in Kansas anymore … or are we?

About 3,407 miles away (or, should I say, 5,482 kilometers) from my family in Boston, 4,145 miles from the U, a few time zones ahead, I emerged from the metro to the gleaming sunshine of a Madrid mañana.

The Spanish capital city, home to sangria, tapas, y … Starbucks?

To my left, Dunkin’ Coffee. To my right, the golden arches of McCafe.

Dios mío.

I did just cross the Atlantic, didn’t I?

My first night out with a group of international exchange students from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid began in an Irish pub with the distinctive sounds of Carly Rae Jepsen and Pitbull.

Really embracing the Spanish culture, eh?

But despite the reminders of life at home in the U.S., I’m beginning to understand the incredible opportunity that is a semester abroad.  At home in my rented flat, my Italian, French and Chinese roommates and I always converse in Spanish. In the few days of shared inhabitance at 92 Calle Embajadores, our comedor is the place we learn a bit of a new language, teach each other our native customs, and embrace the international lifestyle.

At mi universidad nueva, I wander like a lost little Hurricane trying to find the Flipse building, only this time, I’m surrounded by new friends who hail from Italy, Scotland and London. The blend of accents, slang expressions, fashion and perspectives makes for a colorful group of amigos and friendship that spans the globe.

Here’s hoping for more good to come. Hasta luego!

Kristen Spillane is a junior majoring in print journalism and Spanish.

Kristen Spillane

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “We’re not in Kansas anymore … or are we?”

1. Nick says:

If you think you’re in Kansas, go to a soccer game. That will remind you you are in fact in Europe haha.

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team came up short against No. 34 Duke University, 4-1, Th ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis win over Boston College. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team were both among the ni ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team is set to open ACC Championship play Friday afterno ...

Miami Hurricanes tight end David Njoku was selected with the 29th overall pick by the Cleveland Brow ...