Blogs

We’re not in Kansas anymore … or are we?

About 3,407 miles away (or, should I say, 5,482 kilometers) from my family in Boston, 4,145 miles from the U, a few time zones ahead, I emerged from the metro to the gleaming sunshine of a Madrid mañana.

The Spanish capital city, home to sangria, tapas, y … Starbucks?

To my left, Dunkin’ Coffee. To my right, the golden arches of McCafe.

Dios mío.

I did just cross the Atlantic, didn’t I?

My first night out with a group of international exchange students from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid began in an Irish pub with the distinctive sounds of Carly Rae Jepsen and Pitbull.

Really embracing the Spanish culture, eh?

But despite the reminders of life at home in the U.S., I’m beginning to understand the incredible opportunity that is a semester abroad.  At home in my rented flat, my Italian, French and Chinese roommates and I always converse in Spanish. In the few days of shared inhabitance at 92 Calle Embajadores, our comedor is the place we learn a bit of a new language, teach each other our native customs, and embrace the international lifestyle.

At mi universidad nueva, I wander like a lost little Hurricane trying to find the Flipse building, only this time, I’m surrounded by new friends who hail from Italy, Scotland and London. The blend of accents, slang expressions, fashion and perspectives makes for a colorful group of amigos and friendship that spans the globe.

Here’s hoping for more good to come. Hasta luego!

Kristen Spillane is a junior majoring in print journalism and Spanish.

About Author

Kristen Spillane Senior Sports Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “We’re not in Kansas anymore … or are we?”

1. Nick says:

If you think you’re in Kansas, go to a soccer game. That will remind you you are in fact in Europe haha.

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...

Here's a daily look at what is taking place at Greentree ...

Miami tied for the most hits No. 8 North Carolina has allowed all season, but fell to the host Tar H ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...