Kurt Baker’s “Rockin’ for a Living” doesn’t impress

In the first ten seconds of singer/songwriter Kurt Baker’s new album, “Rockin’ for a Living,” the deep strumming of a guitar slowly builds up and intensifies as we lean forward in our seats hoping we’ve stumbled upon revived rock ‘n’ roll.

Twelve seconds in, all hope is lost. Baker’s voice comes in goofy and gung-ho, perfect for the theme song of a ‘90s sitcom, but more so the type of music played at a middle school dance than a head-banging concert. The music’s fun, but power chords get repetitive and one-syllable words don’t always have to be sung with five.

Heavily influenced by the 1960s and ‘70s and comparable to a whinier Elvis Costello, Baker truly is retro, managing to steal sounds from the past without being hipster. It’s admirable that he does what he loves, but his songs lack originality; instead of taking old music and putting a fresh spin on it, he sounds like he’s the son of one of The Beach Boys, trying to recreate music that’s already had its era.

Songs like “Can’t Have Her Back” and “The Problem” incorporate organ solos, making them seem as though they were written at church camp in the awkward years of rejection. The real “problem” is that these songs get stuck in your head like advertising jingles you’re embarrassed you know by heart.

The album has only six tracks, but by track four, “Kiss Me,” the cliches and cheeky lyrics begin to feel unbearable. “Girl I’d rather die than live without you/No matter what your parents say,” he trills.

Whether Baker’s songs will put a smile on your face or make you cringe all depends on how well you tolerate power pop. But it’s likely that listening to all of these songs at once might result in an irrepressible urge to catch a cab to the nearest karaoke bar in search of better music.

Hunter Wright

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...