Fashion lovers unite for Fashion’s Night Out

The fashion conscious – with their entourages in tow – gathered around the world to celebrate the fourth annual Fashion’s Night Out on Thursday.

The fashionistas of Miami were no exception, braving the rain and accessorizing their most stylish outfits with umbrellas. Attendees watched fall fashion previews, schmoozed with designers and picked up great deals on additions for their fall wardrobes.

Fashion’s Night Out, initiated in part by Vogue editor Anna Wintour, began in 2009 as a way to bring shoppers back to the stores after a consumerism lull brought on by the recession. Although the most elaborate festivities remain centered in New York, this year Miami attempted to give the Big Apple a run for their money.

On Thursday night, Bal Harbour, Dadeland and the Village of Merrick Park malls featured complimentary fashion shows, sponsored by the merchants located there. Many stores also offered complimentary hors d’oeuvres and drinks, in addition to numerous special sales, sweepstakes and gifts with purchase. From Banana Republic to Saks Fifth Avenue, more than 65 different retailers took part in the action.

At Saks in Dadeland, fashion lovers were able to attend an Alexander McQueen shoe trunk show and receive a makeover at the beauty bar, while nibbling on Clarabelle’s cupcakes. Ten percent of sales from the night benefited the Women’s Fund of Miami-Dade and Dress for Success.

The Bal Harbour Saks featured a high-tech photo booth that posted directly to Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, drinks from The Broken Shakers and Stella Artois, and burgers and sweet treats from Shake Shack.

The Village of Merrick Park, in conjunction with Grey Goose Vodka and Ocean Drive Magazine, hosted a fashion show of its retailers. As a light rain dampened the courtyard show, the attendees were able to keep dry with complimentary Tiffany-blue umbrellas. Even though nearly every retailer there participated, the main events took place at mall anchor Neiman Marcus.

The Design District also played host to the shopping extravaganza, with shops like Maison Martin Margiela, En Advance, Luminaire and Y-3 giving merchandise away at almost 50 percent off. Attendees were also able to dance to the beats of DJ Mike Sikes and watch an electrifying performance by dance-group Afrobeta, ensuring that next year’s events have plenty to live up to.

Marchesa Bergman

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...