Slightly Stoopid sticks to familiar formula on “Top of the World”

With their latest album, entitled “Top of the World”, California-based reggae group Slightly Stoopid offers up 21 polished tracks that are immediately familiar to those who are familiar with the band. The title track, “Top of the World,” starts off the album on a high note, with Miles Doughty’s and Kyle McDonald’s smooth voices floating over a driving drumbeat and simple guitar riff. The smooth flow of songs throughout the album entrance the listener, and it is easy to get lost in the head-bob inducing rhythms.

The album does a good job of showing the wide variety of influences that can be found in Slightly Stoopid’s sound. The tracks “Ska Diddy” and “Underneath the Pressure” have up-tempo, rocksteady beats that hark back to the first-wave ska movement of the 1950s. “Just Thinking,” featuring an excellent verse from Chali 2na of Jurassic 5 fame, throws a liberal dose of funk and hip-hop into the mix, and “Hiphoppablues” has a swampy, blues sound that could be fresh from Baton Rouge.

While it might not bring in new listeners or change the band’s tried and true formula, “Top of the World” is the most refined album that Slightly Stoopid has released to date. The album is a solid addition to their anthology and could easily find its way into a playlist for relaxing after a stressful day.

Zach Beeker

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...