Mary J. Blige, Starshell take the stage at AAA

By 7:30 p.m., the lights at the AmericanAirlines Arena dimmed and the announcer introduced R&B singer-songwriter LaNeah “Starshell” Menzies. The 24-year-old made her way to the stage with two backup dancers behind her – all three clad in baggy pants and cropped T-shirts.

During her second song, “Birthday Girl,” the trio performed a meticulously choreographed routine to a mashup of 1990s hip-hop hits. They even tossed folded T-shirts into the crowd that read “Birthday Girl” on the front and “#CelebrateLife” on the back. Starshell struggled to jump back into her own song, revealing a discrepancy in synchronicity between her dancing and her singing. Her stage presence appealed to most Miamians, particularly Hispanics.

“I’ve heard her song ‘Birthday Girl,’ and I like it, but I think R&B is in such a critical state right now,” Peruvian tourist Carlos Tremolada. “It’s not the time to start experimenting and mixing it with a Latino element.”

Upon mentioning the Miami Heat, Starshell confessed to the audience that she’s an avid Celtics fan. The audience responded with overly enthusiastic booing. She rapidly proceeded to congratulate the Heat on the team’s championship.

Starshell’s set lasted about 20 minutes, but she definitely tried to make the most of her time. She closed with “Superluva.” And before exiting, she reminded the crowd to “celebrate life every day, like it’s [your]birthday and make sure [you]spread love!”

Starshell holds the title of Mary J. Blige’s first female protege and has already collaborated with artists like Big Sean and Kanye West. Her lively repertoire shows great promise and potential for today’s industry, but she’ll need more experience to reach stardom.

Grammy Award-winning vocalist Melanie Fiona followed Starshell’s show with a full-performance ensemble and a more familiarized audience. R&B singer D’Angelo took the stage next, easing spectators into a frenzy of electrifying dance and readying them for headliner Mary J. Blige.

The AAA eagerly welcomed Blige on the Liberation Tour’s second night in Miami. From her costume changes to her light design, the multi-talented Queen of Hip-Hop Soul ended the night with a phenomenal production that left the arena roaring for more.

Celebrities in attendance included South Florida elites like Joseph “Fat Joe” Cartagena, Janice Combs and LeBron James.

Sarah Abdulla

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...