UM Wynwood gallery relocates

The Wynwood Walls are a collection of murals and graffiti on warehouse walls in Downtown Miami. File Photo

The next time you don your hipster eyewear and explore the streets of the Wynwood Art District, make sure that a visit to the University of Miami Gallery’s brand new home is at the top of your to-do list.

The gallery has moved to the funky, zebra-striped Wynwood Building, a mere two blocks from where it originally stood. Gallery Director Milly Cardoso said she feels that the new building perfectly portrays what the gallery stands for.

“The new location we’ve moved into is much more modern,” Cardoso said. “The building has parking spaces and security which are great improvements. The new location definitely reflects the energy and the look of the art gallery.”

Lise Drost, chair of UM’s Department of Art and Art History, made the decision to move the gallery from its five-year home in lower Wynwood in an effort to bring more recognition to the university’s artists. The gallery’s new home is in a professional building that also houses artist galleries and studios as well as art and design businesses, according to Drost.

“It’s important for the department to showcase the work of our artists – students, faculty, staff and alumni – in the gallery district in Wynwood to help our people with their careers and to show the art community what the U of M artists are doing,” she said.

The gallery’s new location is also closer to the Wynwood Art Walk, which allows it to better reach its goal of inspiring others by attracting more visitors.

“When you leave, we do hope you have more knowledge of art, but we really want students to be inspired to do their own work,” Cardoso said. “More than anything else, we want to inspire.”

Isabel Brador

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...