UM Wynwood gallery relocates

The Wynwood Walls are a collection of murals and graffiti on warehouse walls in Downtown Miami. File Photo

The next time you don your hipster eyewear and explore the streets of the Wynwood Art District, make sure that a visit to the University of Miami Gallery’s brand new home is at the top of your to-do list.

The gallery has moved to the funky, zebra-striped Wynwood Building, a mere two blocks from where it originally stood. Gallery Director Milly Cardoso said she feels that the new building perfectly portrays what the gallery stands for.

“The new location we’ve moved into is much more modern,” Cardoso said. “The building has parking spaces and security which are great improvements. The new location definitely reflects the energy and the look of the art gallery.”

Lise Drost, chair of UM’s Department of Art and Art History, made the decision to move the gallery from its five-year home in lower Wynwood in an effort to bring more recognition to the university’s artists. The gallery’s new home is in a professional building that also houses artist galleries and studios as well as art and design businesses, according to Drost.

“It’s important for the department to showcase the work of our artists – students, faculty, staff and alumni – in the gallery district in Wynwood to help our people with their careers and to show the art community what the U of M artists are doing,” she said.

The gallery’s new location is also closer to the Wynwood Art Walk, which allows it to better reach its goal of inspiring others by attracting more visitors.

“When you leave, we do hope you have more knowledge of art, but we really want students to be inspired to do their own work,” Cardoso said. “More than anything else, we want to inspire.”

Isabel Brador

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

A six-pack of UM nuggets on a Tuesday: • UM receiver Dionte Mullins’ final statement this spring - i ...

The quarterback race at the University of Miami just got a lot tighter. Redshirt freshman Jack Allis ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

HurricaneSports.com caught up with Miami's current hardwood ProCanes. Here's where you can ...

A trio of Canes are represented in the polls, with Lomacki at No. 64 in the ITA Singles rankings and ...

The Miami women's tennis team has continued its rise up the ITA national rankings, checking in ...

Romy Gonzalez scored the go-ahead run in the ninth inning, and Miami held on for an 8-7 win over hos ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...