UM Wynwood gallery relocates

The Wynwood Walls are a collection of murals and graffiti on warehouse walls in Downtown Miami. File Photo

The next time you don your hipster eyewear and explore the streets of the Wynwood Art District, make sure that a visit to the University of Miami Gallery’s brand new home is at the top of your to-do list.

The gallery has moved to the funky, zebra-striped Wynwood Building, a mere two blocks from where it originally stood. Gallery Director Milly Cardoso said she feels that the new building perfectly portrays what the gallery stands for.

“The new location we’ve moved into is much more modern,” Cardoso said. “The building has parking spaces and security which are great improvements. The new location definitely reflects the energy and the look of the art gallery.”

Lise Drost, chair of UM’s Department of Art and Art History, made the decision to move the gallery from its five-year home in lower Wynwood in an effort to bring more recognition to the university’s artists. The gallery’s new home is in a professional building that also houses artist galleries and studios as well as art and design businesses, according to Drost.

“It’s important for the department to showcase the work of our artists – students, faculty, staff and alumni – in the gallery district in Wynwood to help our people with their careers and to show the art community what the U of M artists are doing,” she said.

The gallery’s new location is also closer to the Wynwood Art Walk, which allows it to better reach its goal of inspiring others by attracting more visitors.

“When you leave, we do hope you have more knowledge of art, but we really want students to be inspired to do their own work,” Cardoso said. “More than anything else, we want to inspire.”

Isabel Brador

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...