Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Live the high life with UM rock climbers

Abigail Blumenfeld, a fourth-year architecture student, belays the rope for junior Kim Vermer as she scales the rock wall at X-Treme Rock Climbing. UM’s rock climbing club meets every Friday. Rachel Korotkin // Contributing Photographer

Florida isn’t exactly known for its rocky terrain, but the University of Miami has a well-established rock climbing club.

Senior Drew Hughes, the club president, has been involved with the club since high school.

“I am a commuter student so this was a great way to branch out and meet new people,” he said.

Hughes enjoys rock climbing because it is a fairly laid back sport that also provides an intense workout. Climbing works out muscles in both the arms and legs and because it is a strategic sport, it stimulates the brain.

Frankie Pereda, a recent graduate, joined the club during his junior year to try something new. He was able to balance climbing with a rigorous engineering class load and commitment to marching band.

He still enjoys climbing even though he is no longer a student.

“For me, rock climbing is the best way to work out,” he said. “It works everything. It is fun, engaging and keeps me interested.”

The club has about 70 active members, and no experience is necessary to join. Lessons are included in the club dues so that new students can learn to climb, and experienced students can improve their skills.

“We accommodate everyone from green to veteran,” Hughes said about the club’s open membership.

Another opportunity afforded to club members is rock climbing competition. The club competes with other Florida schools including FSU, UF, UCF and USF.

The different schools visit each other’s home gym and the students attempt to complete a planned course. Judges watch participants and declare a winner based on how far the climbers progress and how frequently they fall. Hughes is trying to generate more interest in competition because the University of Miami has a comparatively small team.

“Competitions are a good opportunity for people to pass what they thought they could do,” Hughes said.

The club also takes trips to places like Alabama and Kentucky so students can experience climbing on natural rock features.

Al Rose, the faculty advisor for the club, has made rock climbing a friendly affair.

When a student is climbing, another student will belay, or hold the rope attached to the harness so members get to know each other.

“It’s just fun,” Rose said. “A lot of friendships are developed.”

The club meets Fridays at 5 p.m. and carpools from Mahoney Residential College to X-Treme Rock Climbing, an indoor facility that was once an aircraft hangar.

Membership dues are $50 per semester or $90 for the year, which allows students to climb anytime on their own.

The first climb is free.

About Author

Victoria Hernandez

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

Briadam Herrera picked up the third All-America honor of his career Thursday with a fifth-place fini ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame will hold the 49th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Tu ...