News Briefs – 9/6

Farmers Market Returns

‘Canes Farmers Market will return to the Coral Gables campus on Sept. 19. It will be held weekly on Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. along the walkway between the Richter Library and the post office. The market features locally grown and organic produce, baked goods, local honey, marinades and more.

A joint initiative of the Office of Human Resources and Student Government, the on-campus farmers market was launched in fall 2010.

Vote for Sebastian

Sebastian the Ibis is in the running for the 2012 Capital One Mascot of the Year. Sebastian is currently up against the University of Nevada’s Wolfie Jr.

The top eight mascots with the best head-to-head records will then compete in a bracket-style, single-elimination competition in order to determine the overall winner. Online voting opened Monday and will continue weekly through Nov. 26. Visit capitalonebowl.com to vote for Sebastian.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...