News Briefs – 9/6

Farmers Market Returns

‘Canes Farmers Market will return to the Coral Gables campus on Sept. 19. It will be held weekly on Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. along the walkway between the Richter Library and the post office. The market features locally grown and organic produce, baked goods, local honey, marinades and more.

A joint initiative of the Office of Human Resources and Student Government, the on-campus farmers market was launched in fall 2010.

Vote for Sebastian

Sebastian the Ibis is in the running for the 2012 Capital One Mascot of the Year. Sebastian is currently up against the University of Nevada’s Wolfie Jr.

The top eight mascots with the best head-to-head records will then compete in a bracket-style, single-elimination competition in order to determine the overall winner. Online voting opened Monday and will continue weekly through Nov. 26. Visit capitalonebowl.com to vote for Sebastian.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...