Students to get football tickets online

Planning on attending a home football game this season? Student tickets are now just a few clicks away.

The UM Athletic Department announced there will be a new method of obtaining student tickets for every home football game this season. Students were previously required to swipe their Cane Cards at the gate. This year, in an effort to streamline the process, students will be able to sign up for their tickets online.

“The biggest change that the students will see is that they will not be swiping their IDs at the game,” said David Weisser, the director of marketing in the Athletic Department. “We’re hoping to speed up the process this way.”

Students interested in attending a particular game should visit hurricanesports.com to select the game they want to attend during the week leading up to the game.

Once logged in, students will have the option to print out their ticket, purchase additional guest tickets and buy parking passes.

Also, students will have the option of printing out their tickets in advance or sending the ticket to their smartphones to be scanned at the gate. In either case, everyone must show their Cane Cards as they enter Sun Life Stadium for verification purposes, but will no longer need to swipe to get in.

“The ultimate goal of this is to make it as easy as possible for students to get into the game,” said Andrew Goodrich, assistant athletic director for marketing.  “Once we get this set up, you’re literally going to be able to take your phone, scan it, and that’s it.”

In order to be able to sign up for and receive a ticket, students must have the Athletic Fee added and paid for on their student account. If it has not been paid for, or if there are any holds on the account, then a ticket will not be sent out.

The new system will also include the bus shuttle plan. Unlike in previous semesters, where anyone wanting to take the bus to the stadium would have to get a sticker by the Wednesday before a game (for Saturday contests), it is now possible to board the bus simply by showing a valid Cane Card. Buses will begin boarding up to three hours before game time, with the last bus departing campus at the time of kickoff.

There will be backup systems in place in case of lost tickets or misplaced phones, but it may take significantly longer to get into the stadium, so it is encouraged that students come to the gates prepared with either their printed ticket or their phone, as well as their Cane Card. Any students with problems can report to Gate H for assistance.

Though the ticketing system may be moving online, that is not to say there will be a limit to the number of tickets that will be allocated for students.

“There will be no cutoff point. Our job is to make sure every student gets into that game,” Weisser said. “If every student on campus decides to go to the game, we’re going to find a place to put them. I would love to have 15,000 students at our games.”

For any additional questions, contact the Hurricane Ticket Office via email at canestix@miami.edu, or by phone at 1-800-462-2637.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...