Popular chain delights with burgers, UM appeal

Move over, Five Guys. Take a seat, OMG! Burgers. There’s a new burger joint on the block: Shake Shack, which opened on U.S. 1 across from campus in July.

The restaurant is the largest of the franchise’s 16 locations, combining a friendly indoor setting with covered patio seating. Business has soared since the July 15 opening, and according to several staff members the budget has been exceeded every day.

“It’s really busy, especially during peak lunch and dinner hours,” said Brenna Verner, a Shake Shack employee. “There’s usually a line through the door.”

The restaurant has an efficient and convenient setup so guests who only order cold items don’t have to wait in the longer hot food line.

Located on South Dixie Highway where the popular barbecue restaurant Smoke’t used to stand, Shake Shack has reached out to the UM community in several ways.

The “U” Malt, made of frozen chocolate custard, fudge sauce, chocolate truffle cookie dough and malt, was aptly named for the university. Also, students can get a serving of custard or a soda free with any $5 purchase.

Junior Justin Green, who frequented Smoke’t and was eager for a new restaurant to take its place, said Shake Shack hits all the right notes.

“The ShackBurger was awesome, and I can’t wait to try more of the shakes,” he said. “The ‘U’ Malt is clearly a nice touch at a restaurant so close to campus.”

The majority of Shake Shack’s burgers are topped with their famous tangy Shack Sauce. Burgers cost anywhere from $3.30 for a single hamburger to $8.85 for the massive “Shake Stack.” Hot dogs are slightly cheaper, running between $3 and $5. Fries are an additional $2.70, or $3.70 for cheese fries.

Besides burgers and hot dogs, Shake Shack is known for its appealing dessert menu with frozen custards, floats, and “concretes,” which are described as custard blended with various mix-ins. The frozen custard is denser and richer than traditional ice cream, and is made daily at the restaurant.

Verner said they will feature a rotation of special custard flavors, including out-of-the-ordinary options like malted marshmallow or heirloom tomato.

There will be seasonal draught beers in addition to the standard beer and wine menu. For fall, the $5.50 draught special is pumpkin harpoon UFO.

Shake Shack, which debuted as a Manhattan-area hot dog stand in 2001, keeps sustainability in mind. The kitchen composts waste and uses eco-friendly appliances, and the tables and chairs are made from recycled materials.

In fact, Verner said the furniture in the main dining area was created from old bowling lanes.

Shake Shack is located at 1450 S. Dixie Highway in Coral Gables.

Spencer Dandes

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G6: Time again for the latest installment of the Canesfan Satisfaction ...

Syracuse student writer Matthew Gutierrez of The Daily Orange asked me to answer some of his questio ...

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...