Take initiative, make this year count

As the fall semester commences in colleges across the country, students that walk into their first classes of the school year have their own set of goals in mind to accomplish.

We students are all driven by an aura of excitement; even the usual milquetoast seems to radiate a heightened sense of chutzpah.

However, at this point in our lives, it is important to instill a sense of individual responsibility in each student. Indeed, we have our support systems of family, friends, and university resources that provide us the assistance when deemed necessary. But no matter what the circumstances are, it is you, the student, who is the captain of your own ship.

Know who you are. Take a moment to think back on what defines you. Know the sacrifices that, not only you have taken, but also those that your family have made for you to reach this junction in your life. The Ancient Greek aphorism “know thyself” epitomizes this essential step in comprehending individual responsibility.

Know what you are doing. Whether you may be the carefree hedonist or the assiduous workhorse, have a rational game plan. Are you sure you want to brush aside your coursework for something you wish you would have reconsidered? Are you sure you want to inundate yourself with extracurriculars and extra course credits when you did not think of what your limits are? All of your actions originate from no other place than yourself.

Know why you are here. It all comes down to having goals and dreams. Regardless of what they may be, these ideals are what you strive for. Taking the initiative in college and understanding the question, “Why?” is imperative for being cognizant of individual responsibility. In the end, it is you that is in control of the opportunities present, so do not let it go to waste.

It is your college experience, your opportunity, and your responsibility. Make it count.

Raymond La is a sophomore majoring in microbiology.

Raymond La

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...