Take a journey to self-discovery

The importance of traveling is rarely stressed until one gets to college.

There are multiple opportunities to study abroad in a plethora of places: Australia, Japan, the Galapagos Islands and so many more. But what is it about exploration that students are asked to venture further into the world beyond the journey to college itself? It lies in the simple lesson of undergrad: self-discovery.

Beginning at a young age, reading is heavily encouraged. It provides a place of peace and refuge, a place where one is free to be whomever they choose and to lose oneself in another world.

Exploration of the mind lies in books, but exploration of the body lies in the world.

This world is filled with unfathomable possibilities, overflowing with opportunities, and in them lie the secrets of one’s fate, the secrets of who we are to become.

College grants the privilege of not only immersing oneself in a book, but instead, immersing oneself in culture: inhaling the life of its inhabitants and exhaling the wonder thought only to be imaginary.

The lessons from such an extravagant excavation are most valuable to self-discovery. One could leave to Rome as an engineer, and return an architect with the desire to design cathedrals as great as Michelangelo. Passion is not just an emotion, but a realization.

Delving into the inner workings of one’s dreams and aspirations can be intimidating, but if those dreams aren’t scary, then those dreams aren’t big enough.  It is not fear of failing that holds people back, but fear of success and fear that one may actually thrive in life and not just settle with what they think they are capable of.

Everyone is meant for greatness but most are too timid to find it within themselves. So take advantage of the adventure that waits. Be brave and find yourself. Travel.

Alanna Phillips is a sophomore majoring in Athletic Training. 

Alanna Phillips

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Take a journey to self-discovery”

1. Lev M. says:

This is organic self discovery, not guided self discovery.

Granted. Delving into the inner workings of one’s dreams and aspirations can be intimidating but there sometimes is a good reason for that. Unrealistic dreams can be painful.

A way to travel specifically in our own minds can be found simply by using one’s computer called clarifylife. They are at:

http://www.clarifylife.com

Self discovery can happen through art, writing, travel and just plain interacting with people.

And I do agree with the gist of the article that exposure to other cultures will break open the perspectives that are closed to us because of our own cultural training.

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...