Take a journey to self-discovery

The importance of traveling is rarely stressed until one gets to college.

There are multiple opportunities to study abroad in a plethora of places: Australia, Japan, the Galapagos Islands and so many more. But what is it about exploration that students are asked to venture further into the world beyond the journey to college itself? It lies in the simple lesson of undergrad: self-discovery.

Beginning at a young age, reading is heavily encouraged. It provides a place of peace and refuge, a place where one is free to be whomever they choose and to lose oneself in another world.

Exploration of the mind lies in books, but exploration of the body lies in the world.

This world is filled with unfathomable possibilities, overflowing with opportunities, and in them lie the secrets of one’s fate, the secrets of who we are to become.

College grants the privilege of not only immersing oneself in a book, but instead, immersing oneself in culture: inhaling the life of its inhabitants and exhaling the wonder thought only to be imaginary.

The lessons from such an extravagant excavation are most valuable to self-discovery. One could leave to Rome as an engineer, and return an architect with the desire to design cathedrals as great as Michelangelo. Passion is not just an emotion, but a realization.

Delving into the inner workings of one’s dreams and aspirations can be intimidating, but if those dreams aren’t scary, then those dreams aren’t big enough.  It is not fear of failing that holds people back, but fear of success and fear that one may actually thrive in life and not just settle with what they think they are capable of.

Everyone is meant for greatness but most are too timid to find it within themselves. So take advantage of the adventure that waits. Be brave and find yourself. Travel.

Alanna Phillips is a sophomore majoring in Athletic Training. 

Alanna Phillips

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Take a journey to self-discovery”

1. Lev M. says:

This is organic self discovery, not guided self discovery.

Granted. Delving into the inner workings of one’s dreams and aspirations can be intimidating but there sometimes is a good reason for that. Unrealistic dreams can be painful.

A way to travel specifically in our own minds can be found simply by using one’s computer called clarifylife. They are at:

http://www.clarifylife.com

Self discovery can happen through art, writing, travel and just plain interacting with people.

And I do agree with the gist of the article that exposure to other cultures will break open the perspectives that are closed to us because of our own cultural training.

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami rowing team introduced the newest members of the Hurricanes rowing program o ...