Online ticketing a better system

We live in the 21st century. Technology is constantly evolving, and change is inevitable. In the past, students needed a Cane Card and bus sticker in order to get to Sun Life Stadium on gameday. Starting this semester, however, a new online ticketing system is finally here to catch us up with the times.

The system will be implemented for football season, in an attempt to alleviate long lines at the student gate and resolve Cane Card issues. Although it may seem more time consuming at first, we believe in your ability to take five minutes out of your three-hour Facebook stalking session to secure your seat.

You’re probably wondering, “Why is this necessary?” Well, before you make up your mind and dismiss it completely, here are some benefits that could win you over:

1. Cane Card doesn’t swipe? No problem. Now that everything will be done online, you’ll only need to show your Cane Card for identification. If the magnetic strip is faulty, you are in the clear.

2. Your ticket for admission will also serve as your bus pass. Kiss those 3 p.m. sticker deadlines goodbye.

3. Eco-friendly students, take note: Don’t worry about wasting paper. If you have a smartphone (chances are high), you can download your ticket and have it scanned at the gate.

4. During a week full of homework, exams and extracurricular activities, it may be difficult to remember to claim your online ticket. Have no fear – tickets can still be accessed on your way to the game.

5. All-inclusive: While getting your ticket, you can also purchase a parking pass and guest tickets. It’s all done with the click of a button.

6. The system is not a lottery. If the whole student body wants to attend a game, they can. As Cady Heron once said, “The limit does not exist.”

Despite these positives, students have raised concerns about a drop in attendance and technical mishaps. However, attendance has always been an issue at football games, and this new system will not further the problem. The students who want to go, will. While technical mishaps may pose a problem, UM has already taken this into consideration. Students will have the option to print their tickets at the stadium.

While this system is plenty innovative, we will miss collecting those colorful bus stickers. But it’s time to grow up.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...

Junior becomes first three-time All-American in program history. ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...