Culture shock could affect students

Miami is unique. It has a distinctive culture that sets it apart from the rest of the world. Mirriam-Webster defines culture shock as “a sense of confusion or uncertainty sometimes with feelings of anxiety that may affect those that are exposed to a foreign culture without proper preparation.”

Going to any foreign country can be overwhelming, and coming to Miami is no exception.

Everyone goes to college with preconceived notions of what things are going to be like when they get there. Culture shock can be caused by something as simple as the university or city not being what they expected and already mentally prepared for.

Harriet Allcock, a junior exchange student from Oxford, said she experienced culture shock when coming to the University of Miami.

“One of the things that I wasn’t expecting was the beauty and nature on campus,” she said. “Since UM is in the middle of a city, I expected it to reflect that. I also expected Miami to be more like England because there are many similarities between the English and American cultures, but I have encountered some differences in being understood because we use different words for certain things.”

Students experiencing culture shock can have headaches, trouble sleeping, and irritability. They may also suffer from withdrawal.

It will get better once you are able to adjust to your new surroundings. It may be difficult at first, but adapting to the culture in Miami is very possible. To me, the best way to get over culture shock is to meet new people and embrace the new experiences. If adjusting is still posing a major challenge, there is always the counseling center where trained professionals are available to speak with you confidentially.

Culture shock can disorient you and throw you out of your comfort zone, but sometimes the best life experiences come from trying new things.

Taylor Duckett is a sophomore majoring in economics.

Taylor Duckett

The first University of Miami player to wear the coveted turnover chain will no longer play football ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...

Highlighted by a thrilling, three-set, top-five win by sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba, the Miami w ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...