News Briefs – 8/23

The Miami Hurricane Orientation

The Miami Hurricane will be hosting a general orientation session on Thursday at 6:30 p.m. at Shoma Hall in the Communication International Building located between Memorial and the Whitten Learning Center. Doors open at 6:15 p.m., and refreshments will be served. President Donna E. Shalala will attend and speak about the role of student media and her experience in journalism. Other events include a special appearance by Sebastian the Ibis, a raffle for “Cool Story Bro” T-shirts and individual section discussions. For more information, check out the Facebook event, “A Night with The Miami Hurricane: A Peek Inside the Student Paper.”

M.F.A. Exhibition

The works of incoming Master of Fine Arts students will be on display at the College of Arts and Sciences Gallery until Sept.14. An opening will be held Friday from 5 to 8 p.m. The gallery is located at the Wesley Foundation, 1210 Stanford Dr. A full schedule of exhibitions can be viewed at as.miami.edu/art. For more information, call 305-284-3161 or email m.cardoso1@miami.edu.

Roses PROMOTE EXPRESSION

A bouquet of University of Miami bi-colored roses can be purchased from FTD.com, an online florist, at a $15 discount in celebration of the beginning of the school year. The floral arrangements with green and orange petals come with a colored keepsake vase with the school logo and can be delivered in a spirited gift box. The College Roses Collection is available at ftd.com/college, and a portion of the proceeds from the sale of UM roses will benefit the university.

Lyssa Goldberg and Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at news@themiamihurricane.com. 

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...