Daring Spam Allstar founder talks folky tres, Cuban flavor

As the founder and leader of local band Spam Allstars, Andrew Yeomanson (a.k.a. DJ Le Spam) has brought his daring sound to Miami’s music scene with a multicultural appeal for more than 10 years.

The Miami Hurricane had the opportunity to speak with DJ Le Spam about the band’s beats and gigs.

The Miami Hurricane: Your sound is very unique and mixes elements from many genres of music, with electronic and Latin ones included. Can you explain your sound?

DJ Le Spam: I got into sampling, so I make drum loops and beats and baselines, and that’s the bed. Then, we improvise on top of that with stuff that’s unlike other genres. Our music has such a strong rhythm element to it.

TMH: What instruments does your band use and how is it combined with electronic DJ elements?

DLS: I play the drum loops and the baselines and our guitar player plays the tres, which is a folky Cuban instrument that gives a lot of flavor to our unique sound. Then we have a trumpet and trombone and saxophone and flute. Then we have our percussionist who gives beats, that would normally feel static, a lot of flavor and feeling.

TMH: Which musicians have inspired your sound?

DLS: Everybody from the famous Nigerian Fela Kuti to James Brown, to jazz musicians like Cannonball Adderley and Charles Mingus. I like obscure music a lot and I have a large collection of it, so guys like Charlie and Edie Palmieri and the famous Cuban bass player Cachao have inspired me. Sometimes though, I just stumble upon something that will inspire me to add a new beat to the mix.

TMH: Since your sound is so unique, what genre of music do your listeners or followers normally gravitate to?

DLS: People who like hip-hop and soul, people who like jazz music, they all seem to like our music. Our sounds are really varied. Eighty percent of our tunes are instrumental, but we have some with vocals in both English and Spanish. It’s really been a surprise to see how many different types of people connect with us.

TMH: What has been your most exciting accomplishment as a band?

DLS: We have played at major music festivals like the Ottawa Bluesfest and the Montreal Jazz Festival, which were great. We also did a soundtrack for Billy Corben’s new film called “Square Grouper.”

TMH: Do you have an ultimate goal for the band?

DLS: It’s been so many years together with the band that it’s already exceeded my expectations. I want to continue producing music, but nothing compares to the feeling of playing for a live audience. It’s a main function of music in society … to play for people, so that’s something we will always want to do.

Upcoming Show: Aug. 25 at Will Call (700 NE 2nd Ave., Miami)

For more information, visit spamallstars.com.

allisonnovack

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...