Ring Theatre celebrates ostracized, yet talented artist

In celebration of Virgilio Piñera’s 100th birthday, the Ring Theatre will present five of his plays as part of the Absurd Celebration: The First International Festival of Virgilio Piñera’s Theatre.

The festival is the kick-off event for Taking Flight: The Year of the Humanities and the Arts at the University of Miami, an initiative that will highlight the arts and humanities through activities at the university.

Piñera, a controversial Cuban playwright, is credited for bringing modernism to Latin American theater as well as writing the first absurd play.

He was ostracized for his homosexuality and creativity until his death in 1979 in Cuba at the age of 67. Piñera has since become a symbol for the quest of artistic freedom and evolution of styles in literature, visual arts and media.

“He was an iconoclast, irreverent and had a very dark sense of humor. He also incorporated this humor into his plays,” festival co-curator Lillian Manzor said.

Manzor and Alberto Sarraín, a local theater director who has staged most of Piñera’s plays, thought that Miami should be the center of Piñera’s celebrations.

In addition to the festival, Manzor is responsible for the Richter library’s homage to Piñera, which can be found in the Cuban Heritage Collection.

The exhibit, which consists of photographs, original scripts and costume designs, is set to open Aug. 30. She also organized the colloquium, “Sexual and Cultural Politics in Virgilio Piñera’s Theater,” which will be held Aug. 30 to Sept. 1 at the Wesley Gallery.

“It’s really special to see him honored this way,” said sophomore Martha Gonzalez, who was born in Cuba. “My parents have always talked about how important his works are and how much he struggled.”

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

The University of Miami women's golf team moved to No. 25 in the latest Golfweek.com rankings t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision at No. 12 Oklahoma State Saturday. ...

The Hurricanes fell to the Orange, 62-55, at the Watsco Center. ...