Ring Theatre celebrates ostracized, yet talented artist

In celebration of Virgilio Piñera’s 100th birthday, the Ring Theatre will present five of his plays as part of the Absurd Celebration: The First International Festival of Virgilio Piñera’s Theatre.

The festival is the kick-off event for Taking Flight: The Year of the Humanities and the Arts at the University of Miami, an initiative that will highlight the arts and humanities through activities at the university.

Piñera, a controversial Cuban playwright, is credited for bringing modernism to Latin American theater as well as writing the first absurd play.

He was ostracized for his homosexuality and creativity until his death in 1979 in Cuba at the age of 67. Piñera has since become a symbol for the quest of artistic freedom and evolution of styles in literature, visual arts and media.

“He was an iconoclast, irreverent and had a very dark sense of humor. He also incorporated this humor into his plays,” festival co-curator Lillian Manzor said.

Manzor and Alberto Sarraín, a local theater director who has staged most of Piñera’s plays, thought that Miami should be the center of Piñera’s celebrations.

In addition to the festival, Manzor is responsible for the Richter library’s homage to Piñera, which can be found in the Cuban Heritage Collection.

The exhibit, which consists of photographs, original scripts and costume designs, is set to open Aug. 30. She also organized the colloquium, “Sexual and Cultural Politics in Virgilio Piñera’s Theater,” which will be held Aug. 30 to Sept. 1 at the Wesley Gallery.

“It’s really special to see him honored this way,” said sophomore Martha Gonzalez, who was born in Cuba. “My parents have always talked about how important his works are and how much he struggled.”

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...