Chick-fil-A president deserves free speech

During the past month, a lot of news coverage has centered on Chick-fil-A’s view on same sex unions, but its president, Dan Cathy, continues to support the biblical definition of marriage.

The first amendment right to freedom of speech applies to everyone. Cathy should be allowed to voice his opinion on such topics and policies without becoming the subject of national news.

“I am in favor of the legalization of gay marriage, but I feel like the CEO’s freedom of speech is being grossly violated,” junior Radhika Joshi said. “Everyone has the right to free speech according to the First Amendment, so why not this guy?”

Have we really gotten to a point in our society where everyone is so sensitive that we have to be so politically correct we cannot safely voice our opinions, even if we do it respectfully?

Aug. 1 was declared Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day, and the company achieved record-breaking sales. But the appreciation day only added fuel to the fire. Instead of bridging the gap between the LBGTQ and heterosexual communities, yet another wedge was unnecessarily driven between them.

The official Chick-fil-A Facebook page made it clear that debates about topics such as gay marriage should be left to elected political figures. Businesses are not here for political activism. Their focus is on providing quality customer service. When businesses begin to become political, it can do more harm than good.

The Chick-fil-A debates have resulted in boycotts, and few cities are attempting to ban the food chain from opening in their respective areas. If people want to boycott various companies, that’s their prerogative. If your mentality is to boycott everything that you don’t support or agree with, you will most likely participate in many boycotts during your life.

As long as Cathy is not refusing service to members of the LBGTQ community, he is entitled to have an opinion that may differ from yours.

Taylor Duckett is a sophomore majoring in economics. 

Taylor Duckett

3 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Chick-fil-A president deserves free speech”

1. C says:

I am failing to see where this man was denied free speech. Being CEO of a prominent fast food chain means he is in a high profile position. Whenever somebody in a high profile position makes a controversial statement, people are going to talk. Suggesting that anybody who heard about his remarks should keep their opinion to themselves is by no means advocating any form of free speech. Essentially, what you did in this article was say that Dan Cathy is a somehow superior being to us and therefore we do not deserve our first amendment right when it comes to how we feel about his asinine comments.

2. BT says:

“Freedom of speech” applies to the government’s censorship of said speech. The Chik fil a BS had nothing to do with free speech. You can say what you want, but you have to be prepared to deal with the consequences. He’s much more than anti-gay marriage. He’s anti-gay period and promotes the mindset that gay people are inferior, less than, a danger to society, and can be cured. Not only is this not true, anyone who espouses such archaic beliefs should be openly shunned and shouted down by the non-govt public as would be someone who felt the same way about other minorities or say left handed people. He should have kept his disdain to his damn self. Its not fair to independent franchise owners to have to deal with his backward and ignorant views.

3. frank says:

The president of Chick-fil-a has the freedom to invoke the rath of God, everyone else has the freedom to be critical of him, to protest his company’s stores (it was the company that made the donations of millions to anti-gay causes so it is fair game), to claim his stores are not welcome in out cities, schools and neighborhood.

I can believe how many people are trying to defend free speech that haven’t the slightest clue about the true nature of free speech, that free speech is a two way street.

It seems strange that the company that Dan Cathy owns “made it clear that debates about topics such as gay marriage should be left to elected political figures” but neither left it to the politicians, Cathy invoking the wrath of god, the company donating to anti-gay marriage groups.

Sad that people that write these stories do not actually understand what they are writing about.

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns home this weekend to host Atlantic Coast Conference ...