Take a bite into the Gables’ cheapest hotspots

Patagonia has a variety of Argentinean pastries on display for their guests to see. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor

Blowing $25 on dinner is painful when you make minimum wage. But then again, dining hall food can take a toll on your system too. Finding good food is the key to making it wihtout a home-cooked meal for two months – McDonalds just won’t cut it. Fortunately, being on a college campus means nearby restaurants have to cater to our tiny budgets. Most eateries in the area offer Canes discounts, so be sure to ask before you pay.

Check out The Miami Hurricane’s picks for best places to grab a bite for $10 or less near campus.

Stir Moon

Stir Moon isn’t just the closest restaurant to campus – it’s right across U.S. 1 – but it’s also one of the tastiest. It features both Japanese and Thai menus.

Order the Pad Thai appetizer ($7.95), loaded with shrimp and chicken, which sits more like a main course than a starter. Or pair up a California roll ($5.50) with a small wonton soup ($4.50). If seafood isn’t your thing, you can try the chicken lettuce wraps ($7.95) or toasty steamed chicken buns ($6.95).

Stir Moon is located at 1100 South Dixie Highway. For more information visit stirmoon.com.

Miami’s Best Pizza

The name doesn’t lie – this place has some of Miami’s best pizza. And it’s cheap too. A slice of cheese pizza ($3.27) is the size of two normal slices, and the greasy goodness will keep you smiling while you chew your way to happiness. Slices are only served until 5 p.m. though, so after that it might be best to go with a friend or two. Order a small cheese pizza ($5.90) with half a dozen garlic rolls ($2.90) and chances are you’ll have leftovers to wash down your beers during your 2 a.m. Halo tournament.

Miami’s Best Pizza is located at 1514 South Dixie Highway. For more information visit miamisbestpizza.com.

Five Guys

Everyone knows that Five Guys has great burgers ($5.39). But have you tried anything else on the menu? They butterfly hot dogs ($3.49) when they cook them, so the meat comes out hot and plump all the way through. The toppings don’t cost extra on the dogs either, so you can load up and fill up.

If you’re not feeling the meat, you can always try a veggie sandwich ($2.99) which is all of their normal vegetables grilled up and packed in. Pair the sandwich with an order of cajun fries ($3.29) and you still have enough for a drink ($2.09).

Still not enough food? Have some free peanuts.

Five Guys is located at 1540 South Dixie Highway. For more information visit fiveguys.com.

Havana Harry’s

It wouldn’t be Miami without affordable Latin food. Havana Harry’s lunch specials are the way to go, with Cuban sandwiches ($7.75) piled high with ham, pork, mozzarella cheese, Swiss cheese, mustard and pickles on Cuban bread, and a side of fries, plantain chips or soup.

The daily specials are almost all under $10, like Wednesday’s ropa vieja ($8.95), shredded pork cooked in tomato and wine sauce, or Friday’s mojito chicken ($8.95), half a chicken cooked in a citrus marinade. All specials come with two sides too, including rice and beans, sweet plantains and french fries.

Havana Harry’s is located at 4612 South Le Jeune Road. For more information visit havanaharrys.net.

Patagonia

Good steak can be tough to find, and even more difficult when you’re on a budget. Fortunately Patagonia popped up on Miracle Mile and in South Miami to save us from our meatless despair. Savor one of their special dishes like grilled skirt steak ($8.99) or matambre ($7.99), a flank steak stuffed with eggs and vegetables and baked to perfection. All dishes come with a side of mashed potatoes, salad, Russian salad or french fries.

If you feel like eating with your hands, pick up a proscuitto and cheese sandwich ($4.99) and a glass of cabernet ($4.50)  or hot chicken breast sandwich ($7.99).

For locations and more information, visit nahuen.com.

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Five of the greatest football players of all time were inducted into the Miami Hurricanes Ring of Ho ...

View photos from the Georgia Tech at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Mia ...

Darrell Langham's miraculous 28-yard catch set up Michael Badgley's game-winning field goa ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play Sunday evening at the 2017 Oracle/ITA ...

The University of Miami women's rowing team opened the fall portion of its 2017-18 schedule on ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami volleyball team demonstrated skill on both sides of the ball Sunday, sweepin ...