Exploring Miami by land and by sea

Tourists and residents alike can explore the city on a South Beach duck tour that uses an amphibious vehicle to transition between land and water. The 90-minute tour gives a glimpse of the Art Deco District and celebrity homes. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor 

Miami can go from the trendy and flashy hotspots on Ocean Drive to the hub for Cuban culture, Little Havana, in a 15-minute drive. And if you need a break from the city, the Everglades is just a car ride away. The Magic City’s diversity can make it intimidating to really explore your new home. Here are The Miami Hurricane’s picks for the best tours in the city.

Little Havana Culinary Tour

This two-hour walking tour takes groups through Little Havana on Saturday afternoons to sample Cuban cusine. On the tour, you’ll get a taste of Cuban food and culture, as your tour guide explains the historical landmarks around the neighborhood.

You’ll stop at well-known restaurants like Exquisito, where you can try a traditional Cuban sandwich, loaded up with ham, pork, Swiss cheese and pickles. You’ll also try traditional treats like pastelitos de guayaba (guava pastries) and jugo de guarapo (sugar cane juice).

The tour also makes pit stops at a cigar shop and Domino Park, where seniors challenge each other to usually dishonest games of dominos.

You can take the Little Havana Culinary tour on Saturdays at 12:30 p.m. The tour costs $59 per person. For more information, visit miamiculinarytours.com.

Duck Tours South Beach

Get to know Miami both by land and by sea. The Duck Tours South Beach’s claim to fame is its Hydra Terra vehicles, which travel on land and the ocean.

The 90-minute tour starts in South Beach and takes you through the historical Art Deco District. As you make your way south, the vehicle ends up sailing in the water around Star Island, where you’ll get to see the homes of celebrities like Shaq and Gloria Estefan.

Tour guides will keep you entertained with jokes and trivia. They ask questions, and if you get a question right, you’ll get your own duck bill that quacks when you blow on it. And let’s be honest, who doesn’t want that?

Duck Tours run multiple times per day throughout the week. The tour costs $34.24 per person. For more information, visit ducktourssouthbeach.com.

Blue Moon Kayaking Tours

If the Duck Tour leaves you wanting more of Miami’s waters, explore the city by kayak. Blue Moon Outdoor Center offers three different kayaking tours.

The two-hour Oleta Park Inside Tour will take you down the river through the mangrove trails. You’ll see jumping fish and herons, and if you’re lucky you might catch a glimpse of manatees or dolphins. If you want to take a swim, the group has snorkel gear for rent or you can bring your own.

The Oleta River Blue Marlin Fish House Tour is longer than the Inside Tour and ends with an optional lunch at the Blue Marlin Fish House, which is famous for its smoked fish dip.

Blue Moon also offers a Full Moon Kayak tour twice a month. The nighttime ride is two hours long with a 30-minute break for a bonfire and s’mores.

Days and times for the tours vary. The cost ranges between $40 to $75 per person. For more information, visit bluemoonmiami.com.

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...