Counseling Center welcomes new director

Courtesy Ernesto Escoto

Ernesto Escoto assumed his new role as director of the UM Counseling Center this July.

“I’m very much looking forward to working with the staff at the Counseling Center as well as the faculty and staff of the University of Miami, and to have an opportunity to serve students,” he said, before starting the job.

A native of El Salvador, Escoto has a Ph.D. in counseling psychology and last served as the associate director of clinical services at Ohio State University.

He is considered an expert in mental health issues within the Hispanic community, and often works closely with international students. At Ohio State, Escoto co-chaired the International Student Life Task Force and served as an advisor to the Hispanic Student Services Council.

This summer, Escoto’s first steps will be to get to know his new staff.

“The first thing I want to do is to get to know the staff at the center and throughout the university,” he said. “I want to work together with them to strengthen the relationships and collaboration between the units at the university so they can better serve the needs of the students and other departments.”

Escoto then hopes to have the Counseling Center accredited by the International Association of Counseling Services and to create an accredited internship program for psychology students through the Counseling Center.

“I would like to understand the experience of all students, and then take that information and turn it into strategies to meet their needs,” he said.

Isabel Brador

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...