Applications to go abroad take a turn for the digital

The office of International Education and Exchange Programs (IEEP) recently refurbished the application process for admission to participate in study abroad programs.

Students interested in applying to study abroad programs can now submit applications online. The virtual system boasts several benefits, and will allow students to keep track of their documents via a user-friendly system.

The applications to study abroad still require students to answer the same questions and meet the former standards for admission. According to Jonathan Dillow, the assistant director for IEEP, the only difference exists in the way students are required to submit applications.

The office of IEEP will no longer accept paper applications or recommendations. Exceptions to this new rule must be previously discussed with a study abroad coordinator.

Applications for long-term study abroad programs should be accompanied by an electronic approval from their academic advisors and two additional electronic recommendations from faculty members.

With the new online application system, students may submit recommendation letter requests to faculty members. After faculty members complete the recommendations, they may be assured that the letters are uploaded to a secure site.

Prior to completing the online application, students must meet with their academic advisor. The application is not available for completion until that requisite has been met.

According to Dillow, the office decided to move to an online application in order to reduce paperwork and “streamline” the office’s processes.

Allowing students to submit applications online application should also resemble how the new generation uses technology for most applications.

“We want students to interact with our office like they interact with each other,” he said.

The online application will only be available for programs that the IEEP office facilitates. Students who wish to apply to outside programs must discuss the programs with their academic advisor prior to applying.

For more information on applying online and a list of the IEEP’s programs, visit miami.edu/studyabroad.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...