Football, Sports

Ray-Ray Armstrong dismissed from football team

The next time Ray-Ray Armstrong suits up to play football, it won’t be as a member of the Miami Hurricanes.

The senior safety has been dismissed from the football team as of Wednesday morning. No reason was given, but the school, through a release, did state that Armstrong would be allowed to either finish his degree under scholarship at Miami or be granted a full release from the university.

Armstrong came to Miami in 2009 as a highly touted recruit out of Seminole High School. The safety, who was the top recruit from that class, was expected to be a big contributor to the Hurricanes defense this coming season.

During his tenure as a Cane, Armstrong has struggled with several discipline issues. He was suspended for the first four games of the 2011 season by the NCAA for having accepted benefits by former athletic booster Nevin Shapiro. He was later suspended for a game in November against Florida State after having dinner with a representative from a public relations firm, although he was cleared for that incident.

With fall camp just a few weeks away, the Hurricanes will now have to fill a major void in their defense.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Ray-Ray Armstrong dismissed from football team”

1. Eye4Talent says:

First and foremost, I am a UM fan. Let me get this straight. He was suspended last season for four games for the whole Shapiro thing, suspended again for one game for the dinner @ Prime 112. Now that’s 2 strikes. I’m sure he was spoken to by SOMEONE about his actions not only on the first incident but also on the second incident, as well as a warning on any future incidents. Now by this point the light bulb should have went off (something to the tune of: “when i’m with my girlfriend I shouldn’t post any pics of anything on the internet”). If the NCAA got wind of the chicken dinner that he posted on Twitter, didn’t he or someone close to him think that maybe, just maybe there might be a 0.000000001% chance that they might be watching his social media activity for any future violations? Then when the school asked him about it, he lied. What other choice did he leave them with? They had to dismiss him from the team. It’s sad. Hopefully, he will start making better decisions in the future. I wish him luck at the next school he lands at. This will HURT his draft status BIG TIME!

It’s dress rehearsal time for the Miami Hurricanes. On Thursday morning, the Hurricanes will conduct ...

Coach Mark Richt had just told the young man who grew up loving the Miami Hurricanes that he would b ...

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' practice on Wed., Aug. 23, 2017. … Click to Continue » ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...