Football, Sports

Ray-Ray Armstrong dismissed from football team

The next time Ray-Ray Armstrong suits up to play football, it won’t be as a member of the Miami Hurricanes.

The senior safety has been dismissed from the football team as of Wednesday morning. No reason was given, but the school, through a release, did state that Armstrong would be allowed to either finish his degree under scholarship at Miami or be granted a full release from the university.

Armstrong came to Miami in 2009 as a highly touted recruit out of Seminole High School. The safety, who was the top recruit from that class, was expected to be a big contributor to the Hurricanes defense this coming season.

During his tenure as a Cane, Armstrong has struggled with several discipline issues. He was suspended for the first four games of the 2011 season by the NCAA for having accepted benefits by former athletic booster Nevin Shapiro. He was later suspended for a game in November against Florida State after having dinner with a representative from a public relations firm, although he was cleared for that incident.

With fall camp just a few weeks away, the Hurricanes will now have to fill a major void in their defense.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...