Howarth carries team after rehab from injury

Sophomore forward Kate Howarth gets over an Alabama defender while jumping for a header in the Hurricanes’ first-round victory in last year’s NCAA Tournament. Kenneth Rubi // Contributing Photographer

She’s hard at work by 7 a.m. each morning, day in and day out. Two solid hours of hard work, conditioning and shots drills.

For sophomore forward Kate Howarth, this is what being a Hurricane is all about.

Howarth, who hails from Grand Blanc, Mich., led the team on offense with 11 goals, six assists, 26 points, 39 shots, 17 shots on goal and three game-winning goals, while leading the team to the first postseason win in school history.

Although she has helped lead her team to the second round of the NCAA tournament this year, things were not always so simple. Howarth suffered a season-ending injury just 10 games into her freshman year.

Such a devastating injury could have sidelined a player for good, discouraged and disappointed. But not Howarth.

“My outlook on practicing and playing has always been, ‘play as if this is your last game,’ but getting injured and being out for almost an entire year just brings those beliefs to life,” Howarth said.  “In one split second I went from playing the game I love to having three surgeries and crutching around for nine weeks.”

Howarth’s attitude speaks to her character as a player.

“I wouldn’t redo it if I could, it really gave me an entire new appreciation for the game and how it is a privilege to be able to play and never take it for granted,” she said. “Every single time I step onto the field I try my hardest to leave it all out there, because you don’t know what could happen. One split second can change everything.”

Howarth’s admirable mentality does not go unnoticed by her teammates and coaches.

“It was a rough time when Kate got hurt, not only for her but for the team because we lost one of our goal scorers,” said Fatima Nasser, a junior midfielder. “But she recovered well and was one of the few that stayed over the summer to work out and get ready for the season with the strength coach and trainers.”

Part of Howarth’s success can be attributed to her continuous development as a player and leader.

“I think over the last three years I have developed as a player through experience,” she said. “Every single game you play in, you can go back and watch the film and pick out specific things you can work toward doing better in practice to make sure you don’t make those same mistakes again. That is a part of maturing as a player; there is always room for improvement, no matter what. That is the beauty of the game.”

Howarth mentioned the changes in coaching staff and the coming and going of teammates as major obstacles to a team’s success.

Coaching staff and teammates alike echoes her sentiments.

“I think Kate has a big impact on our team as a whole,” assistant coach Matt Kagen said. “We came in as a new staff and wanted to change the culture and hold the kids to high standards both on and off the field.  She is one of those kids who is constantly upholding the standards here and that is a big reason we have been successful thus far.”

As a true leader, Howarth understands the importance of good team chemistry and not just personal success.

“We hang out outside of practice and trips all the time,” she said. “Almost all of us live together so we are literally together all the time. We are like a family in a sense. We live together, eat together, travel together and play together. I think if you asked any one on the team they would agree we don’t mind it that way either. We would have problems if we didn’t get along so well.”

Looking ahead to the future, Howarth understands the importance of both personal and team goals.

“I have really high expectations for next year but I’m all about short term goals,” she said. “I think they are easier to focus on and achieve. So I like to take it one game at a time.”

For her own future, Howarth has her options open for after she graduates.  Hopes of entering the WPS draft are on the horizon, and she might consider coaching or going back to school in the Midwest.

Whatever her future may hold, Howarth knows soccer has played an important role thus far.

“Soccer has been monumental part of my life,” she said. “It has been something that I have used as an outlet since I was four. It turned into a passion that I ran with and never let go of. My life has always completely revolved around soccer, that is just how it has always been. It has definitely played a huge role in the person I’ve become.”

Kristen Spillane

It’s dress rehearsal time for the Miami Hurricanes. On Thursday morning, the Hurricanes will conduct ...

Coach Mark Richt had just told the young man who grew up loving the Miami Hurricanes that he would b ...

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' practice on Wed., Aug. 23, 2017. … Click to Continue » ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...