Florida State knocks Miami out of ACC tourney

Freshman Henrque Tsukamoto gears up for a backhand during his match against the UCF Knights. The NO. 69 Canes went 8-13 overall, but just 1-9 in the ACC. Zack Beeker // Staff Photographer

The Hurricanes ended a  season full of ups and downs early in the ACC tournament.

Looking to make a run and potentially extend their 2012 campaign at least a few more days, the No. 69 Canes met their match against No. 32 Florida State in the first round of the tournament as the Seminoles came away with the 4-0 victory.

FSU notched two quick victories in the doubles matches to score the first point, and didn’t let up in singles play, taking the first three matches to secure the win.

“FSU was too strong in some spots today,” Hurricanes coach Mario Rincon said after the loss.

The Hurricanes’ year was one that showed glimpses of potential early on, but struggles in conference play derailed many of those hopes. The team finished 8-13 overall but finished 1-9 in the ACC, with the only win coming against Wake Forest at home in late March.

Though the young team had its share of struggles this past year, there is still plenty of opportunity for growth. All eight players that suited up this past year – including five underclassmen – will be back next year.

“We have a young, coachable team that loves to work hard,” Rincon said. “They will only get better at singles and doubles over the summer and into next year.”

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...