WVUM’s Laura of Miami talks Ultra, music idols, DJing

WVUM’s Laura of Miami, a master’s student, DJed at Ultra in March. The Miami Hurricane chatted via email with the local musical trendsetter, whose real name is Laura Sutnick, about her experience at Ultra Music Festival.

The Miami Hurricane: What’s your favorite part about being a DJ?

Laura Sutnick: I like to compare DJing to delivering flowers or serving ice cream. It’s about making people on the other side of the DJ booth happy. I like to introduce people to new music, make them dance, and I’m really big on developing Miami’s music scene.

TMH: What’s it like performing at Ultra?

LS: It’s great! Being on a bill with such top-notch talent is an honor. You get to play on an awesome system, a cool stage, and to very enthusiastic people.

TMH: What artists do you look up to?

LS: I love Todd Terje, who I actually booked for a May show at the Electric Pickle. I’m also a huge Kraftwerk fan, so seeing them this weekend was a treat. Grace Jones is one of my all-time favorites as well.

TMH: What DJs did you check out at Ultra?

LS: I was more into the live acts at Ultra this year: Kraftwerk, New Order, Metronomy, Little Dragon, and M83.

TMH: What’s been your biggest challenge as a DJ?

LS: I tend to play very new or obscure music. Generally Miamians are very caught up in mainstream music and hip-hop and it’s difficult to find crowds to open their minds to something they’ve never heard. If you want really great paying gigs, you normally have to sell out and play top 40 stuff, which I refuse to do.

TMH: What do you hope to do after graduation?

LS: I’ll be working hard bringing more acts to Miami through my company, Nightdrive. We’re also working on launching a label and expanding our music blog nightdrivemiami.com, which is currently rated a top 100 music blog in the U.S.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...