Winning wing joints flock close to campus

Why did the student cross the road? To chow down on some chicken and beer before class.

Two popular chicken wing joints opened directly across campus last semester: Buffalo Wild Wings Grill (BWW) opened in Sunset Place, and Sports Grill set up shop on Sunset Drive next to George’s (adjacent to Sunset Place).

BWW is famous for its 20 signature sauces and dry seasonings that range from Sweet BBQ to Blazin’. The new location feeds hungry Canes seven days a week until 2 a.m.

At BWW, six traditional wings will run you $5.29, or you can get eight boneless for $7.79. Specials include traditional wings for 50 cents each on Tuesdays, and boneless wings for 60 cents each on Thursdays.

Sports Grill, which was once named Miami New Times’ choice for “best wings in Miami,” offers seven different wing styles, including “Special Grilled” and “Miami Heats.” Wings come in orders of 10, 16, 25 or 50.

Both Buffalo Wild Wings Grill and Sports Grill are conveniently located for UM students, but if you’re willing to travel a little farther for delicious, quality wings, here are some other options:

Titanic Restaurant and Brewery

This joint, located on Ponce De Leon Boulevard just south of the UM baseball stadium, is even closer to campus than Buffalo Wild Wings Grill and Sports Grill. The beer it brews attracts drinkers and diners, but those who don’t order a Bucket O’ Wings are missing out.

The chicken soaks in savory Vietnamese sauce. If you’ve had Sriracha, you know these wings are fire.

They go by the pound: $8 for one and $14.50 for two. Stop in on a Thursday to take advantage of the special. With the $10 deal, you get a pint of the house beer and 10 wings in one of 10 unique flavors. Spicy oyster, red pepper honey and chimichurri are three of the most intriguing.

Titanic Restaurant and Brewery is located at 5813 Ponce De Leon Blvd.

Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza

The chain pizzeria boasts their “well-done” pies, but the same can be said about their coal oven-roasted chicken wings. They are smothered in caramelized onions and served with focaccia bread. The wings are cooked in the oven with rosemary and spices.

A plate of 10 costs $8.95 and it’s $14.95 for 20. You can order them for takeout or dine at one of the cozy restaurants. Quick service and classic rock make for an enjoyable dining experience.

Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza is located at 10205 South Dixie Highway or at 12502 SW 88 St.

Hurricane Grill & Wings

Don’t be fooled by the name. This franchise is not “all about the U,” but the wings will definitely rock you on a scale from Category 1 (the calm before the storm) to Category 5 (seek shelter). With more than 30 flavors, the possibilities are endless because you can even combine them.

Boneless wings are $8.99 for 10, $12.99 for 15, $17.99 for 20 and $41.99 for 50. If you prefer jumbo, the 100 percent natural chicken wings add just a dollar to those prices.

Celery with buttermilk ranch or chunky bleu cheese dressing come with the wings at no additional charge. Spend $2 more for a platter with two sides: homemade kettle chips, crispy fries or coleslaw.

Not to mention, the tropical decor gives the restaurant a laidback, beachy vibe.

Hurricane Grill & Wings is located at 3201 North Miami Ave. in Midtown and at 14211 SW 42 St.

Chelsea Kimmey

Assistant News Editor

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...