Thrifty and nifty: Miami proves to be bargainers’ haven

Whether it’s the thrill of the hunt, the buzz of a bargain or the untold treasures that can be revealed, there’s nothing like a good thrift store. For every rainy Saturday when you don’t feel like fighting crowds at the mall, and for every shopping urge you might have while your credit card’s maxed out, it’s thrift stores to the rescue. Here’s a guide to a few local favorites that may smell a little funky, but are known for producing fantastic finds.

Flamingo Plaza

This Hialeah stripmall is a local legend. The plaza houses several thrift stores and discount stores including a Red White & Blue Thrift Store, Community Thrift Store and Hialeah Thrift. Flamingo Plaza is famous for its furniture finds. It takes a little digging to find extra special clothing, but don’t be afraid to dive in with both hands. Flamingo has been known to turn up vintage Lacoste items, a Jordan Marsh coat with mink trim and a pair of vintage Adidas Tron sneakers circa 1982.

901 E. 10th Ave., Hialeah

Hours vary

Goodwill Superstore

When in doubt, it never hurts to stick with a classic. Conveniently located on the corner of Bird Road and Ludlam Road, the Goodwill Superstore is just a bike ride away from UM. With clothing sections organized by color, Goodwill is the perfect place for expanding your T-shirt collection. It’s also great for used dishes and creative household decor.

Bird Road and Southwest 67th Avenue, Miami

Monday through Saturday 9 a.m.- 9 p.m. and Sunday 9 a.m.- 7 p.m. Donations are accepted at the back door drop-off area until 6 p.m.

Out of the Closet

As if ridiculously low prices weren’t incentive enough, Out of the Closet gives shoppers a chance to thrift for a cause. Voted “Best Place to Donate Your Clothes” by the Miami New Times, Out of the Closet is owned and operated by the  AIDS Healthcare Foundation and provides free testing and treatment. The self-proclaimed “most fabulous thrift store in the world” has two locations in Miami, one on Biscayne Boulevard in Downtown, and one on Alton Road in South Beach. Out of the Closet is the perfect place to find off-the-wall accessories.

2900 N. Biscayne Blvd., Miami and 1510 Alton Rd., Miami Beach

Open Monday through Satuday 10 a.m.- 7 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m.- 6 p.m.

Laura Edwins

Managing Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Thrifty and nifty: Miami proves to be bargainers’ haven”

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...