Taste the cuisine in Miami’s hub of Cuban culture

Grace Della, the guide of the Little Havana Food Tour, has been giving weekly tours of Calle Ocho and the surrounding area for two years. Della believes that Little Havana needs more exposure and states "We try to keep alive the Cuban culture in Miami."€ Her tour combines a taste of Cuban food along with Cuban history. Monica Herndon//The Miami Hurricane

Strangers easily become friends as tapas – traditional Spanish appetizers – sprout conversation and encourage sharing. With papas aioli, chorizo albino and fried garbanzos sizzling on the table, the Miami Culinary Tours’ Little Havana Food Tour transports you away from Miami into a Spanish-centric sect.

“We believe in promoting the local economy,” said Della, the founder of Miami Culinary Tours. “We try to keep alive the Cuban culture here in Miami, which we love very much.”

Walking out of the tour’s first stop, Casa Panza, and onto Calle Ocho, Celia Cruz’s “La Vida Es Un Carnaval,” a classic salsa song, blares around the block and pairs with the columns and balconies of Mediterranean Revival architecture, the style often seen down the historical street. On the floor, dozens of stars are honored as a part of the Latin Walk of Fame, Miami’s version of the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

The tour makes a second stop at the Cuba Tobacco Cigar Company, where Alberto Gonzales wraps a box full of Cuban cigars, a craft he’s mastered over 41 years. He explains how the Honduran, Nicaraguan, Ecuadorian and Dominican roots of the farm-grown tobacco makes the shop the city’s best for a Cuban cigar.

A few steps over, 85-year-old Heliodoro Coro welcomes the group into El Pub Restaurant, one of several businesses he owns on the street. A hot plantain omelet with a side of black bean soup and the choice of red or white Argentine wine are staples at El Pub. Visitors often devour the worldly cuisine.

Della then points to historic locales – the Tower Theatre, open since 1926, Domino Park, where viejitos (senior citizens) challenge each other to dominos, and a theatre undergoing construction, where Billy Holiday once performed.

For another taste of Cuba, a stop at Exquisito Restaurant is a must. Della presents the tour with a Cuban sandwich, glazed bread on the outside, pork, mustard, pickles, ham and cheese on the inside. Immediately after, the tour tries a pastelito de guayaba (a guava pastry) and jugo de guarapo (sugar cane juice).

Before topping the tour with dessert, Della gives a mini-history lesson at the Cuban Memorial Boulevard, where she discusses the Bay of Pigs, U.S.-Cuban relations and Santeria, a Caribbean-based religion.

The tour’s final stop is at El Cristo Restaurant for dessert. The group is given flan, a soft and sweetly glazed treat similar to custard creme. Made with condensed milk, sugar, egg and creme cheese, it’s a delicious end to a Cuban afternoon.

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...