Study locations exist beyond Otto G. Richter Library

Rachel Martin, freshman majoring in psychology, studies in the music library on Sunday night for her test on Monday. "I like the view from the windows," says Martin, "The stacks kind of freak me out and it's prettier here." Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor
Freshman Rachel Martin studies for an exam in the Weeks Music Library, a quieter option than the Richter Library. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor

Though the start of the school year and all associated assignments and exams seem to sit at a significant distance, it’s never too soon to seek an alternative study spot.

While the Richter Library is the most popular – but probably the most crowded –  place to study and socialize, there are several smaller libraries across the university’s three campuses that may offer a change of scenery.

Those smaller libraries include the Marta and Austin Weeks Music Library, the Paul Buisson Reference Library at the School of Architecture, and the Law Library, all located on the Gables campus, and the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS) Library, located on Virginia Key.

Marta and Austin Weeks Music Library

Sitting on the edge of Lake Osceola next to the Student Activities Center’s construction site, this library is the newest and largest branch of the university’s libraries. Though it mainly caters to the needs of students at the Frost School of Music, the building and its resources are available to the entire UM community.

The library features worktables, cubicle-like study desks, and small lounge areas with picturesque views of the lake.

RSMAS Library

For students looking for a change of scenery, the RSMAS library located on the Virginia Key campus is just a short drive or shuttle ride away. This library often provides students with some extra perks: coffee and candy for students.

“Just the idea of going to the nearby beach alone will drive me to get my studies done,” senior Laken Garcia said.

University of Miami School of Law Library 

Located near Richter and the popular on-campus Subway restaurant, this is a good place for late-night studying.

Robin C. Schard, assistant library director for public service, said that while the library gets busy during the day, it tends to be quiet at night.

The library has a number of group study rooms, computer labs and study cubicles with computers. The computers are only available to law students; however, the desks have connections for personal laptops.

Schard said that there are some access restrictions during major exam periods, but otherwise the law library is open to all students on campus.

Paul Buisson Reference Library at the School of Architecture

Another campus alternative study spot for students is the architecture library. It is located on the first floor of building 48-D, which faces the central courtyard of the School of Architecture.

According to Elisiene Jean, the senior library assistant, the space remains relatively calm and quiet throughout most of the semester. Still, activity picks up during finals or heavy exam periods.

There are several computers, as well as a small lounge area. It also has two conference rooms that are usually available to students. There are also a few tables outside, in the courtyard, that give students the chance to study and take advantage of the outdoors.