SoBe sizzles with alternative entertainment options

Everyone knows South Beach is a nightlife capital, home to some of the most exciting clubs in the world. But South Beach also offers activities for people who desire something different. Here’s what to check out in the alternative South Beach scene.

Ocean Drive

Rollerblade or walk down the boardwalk along Ocean Drive. From South Pointe until 15th Street, Ocean Drive runs right along the beach. The popular street is great for people watching. You’ll also get to check out the famous and colorful art deco buildings.

Have breakfast or lunch at Big Pink. This delicious diner-style restaurant offers big portions of comfort foods, like buckets of fries and giant plates of meatloaf with mashed potatoes. You can enjoy your food inside or outside. Just don’t forget to take your leftovers home, because there will definitely be leftovers.

Big Pink is located at 157 Collins Ave.

David’s Cafe

Grab a cafe con leche at David’s Cafe. With one location just off Meridian Avenue and Lincoln Road, it serves up Cuban cuisine and friendly service. Plus, it’s open 24/7.

David’s Cafe has locations at 1654 Meridian Ave. and 1058 Collins Ave.

Yoga

Do yoga on the beach. Switch up your fitness routine with these free classes. Participants choose between a sunrise yoga class at 7 a.m. or a sunset class at 5 p.m. every day of the week. Don’t forget your towel, water and sunscreen! Namaste.

Yoga classes are located on Third Street Beach.

Nikki Beach Club

Relax at Nikki Beach Club. This St. Tropez-style complex has oceanside cabanas to create a relaxed ambiance for its visitors. Offering a wide variety of mojitos and frozen drinks, it is the perfect spot to sip cocktails with friends on a lazy Saturday or Sunday.

Nikki Beach Club is located at 1 Ocean Drive.

The Standard Hotel

Play Sunday night bingo at The Standard Hotel.  Games are free and go from 8:30 p.m. to midnight. Prizes range from hotel stays to massages, spa treatments and even a date with a fellow player.

The Standard Hotel is located at 40 Island Ave.

Espanola Way

Visit the picturesque and historical Espanola Way. This charming neighborhood is less touristy and more bohemian than other areas of South Beach. Stroll by some art at Espanola Way Art Center and Marcel Gallery, and grab a crepe at the outdoor French cafe, A La Folie.

Espanola Way is located between 15th Street and 14th Street just west of Washington Avenue.

World Erotic Art Museum

Located at the corner of Washington Avenue and 12th Street, this museum is home to the largest collection of erotic art in the U.S. Bring your student ID to get in for $13.50 and receive a unique educational experience of art through the ages.

World Erotic Art Museum is located at 1205 Washington Ave.

The Frieze Factory

With so many frozen yogurt spots in Florida, Frieze is famous for its diverse selection of homemade ice cream and sorbets. Located off Lincoln Road, Frieze offers Indian mango, lychee, guava or green tea flavors, perfect after a hot beach day.

The Frieze is located at 1626 N. Michigan Ave.

CaseyGasinowski

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...