Productions showcase student talent

If you’re craving a show but don’t have a car, it can be hard to find live entertainment in Miami. But luckily, UM helps fill the void with the Jeremy Herman Ring Theatre. Best of all, tickets are discounted for students, and free on Totally Tuesdays, the first Tuesday of the production.

The Ring, which is located on campus, holds performances by the school’s own students. In the past few years, the theater has put on classics like the Greek comedy “Lysistrata,” and Shakespeare’s “Hamlet.” But you can also catch shows like the Stephen Sondheim’s “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum” and Nilo Cruz’s “Night Train to Bolina.”

“Night Train” leads Joey Barreiro and Alanna Saunders’ “chemistry with the rest of the cast is tangible, racing the audience along the bumpy train tracks of joy and sadness,” said The Miami Hurricane writer Deanna Mavis in her review of the play.

Last year, the Ring was the first to work with nine-time Tony award-winning Tommy Tune’s “FIFTY*FOUR*FOREVER,” a play about the story of Steve Rubell whose dream was to open a disco club. Rubell could not have anticipated that his efforts would soon put New York City’s 54th Street on the map. Actors played real-life figures such as Andy Warhol, Liza Minnelli and Michael Jackson.

“This play is interesting because one starts with real people,” said junior Brain DiRito, who plays fashion designer Calvin Klein. “I had to bring his traits to develop the character instead of creating it from the script.”

DiRito also enjoyed his time with Tune.

“Working with Tune has been great. He is always trying to find what works and helping us find what the actors require,” DiRito said.

The 2012-2013 season had not been announced as of early June, but continue to check miami.edu.ring for updates.

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Five of the greatest football players of all time were inducted into the Miami Hurricanes Ring of Ho ...

View photos from the Georgia Tech at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Mia ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...