Parking zones to split after concerns, comments

In response to numerous complaints and suggestions, the Department of Parking and Transportation will divide the expansive yellow parking zone into three new colored zones next semester, making a total of eight zones.

This year, the yellow zone was comprised of the areas near the BankUnited Center (BUC), Wellness Center, Pavia Garage, and Eaton and Mahoney-Pearson Residential Colleges. The new changes will make Pavia and its surroundings areas a pink zone, Mahoney-Pearson will be designated white, and yellow will maintain the areas near the Wellness Center and the BUC.

According to the Director of Parking and Transportation Richard Sobaram, the decision to divide yellow into three zones had been discussed since October. The only problem was whether to enact the changes for this past spring semester or wait until next fall.

Sobaram said another issue was reducing the number of cars “hunting” for spots throughout campus, especially near the University Center. This hunting problem was a major factor that initially led to the colored parking zones.

“In previous years, we sold people a hunting license, giving you the right to hunt for a parking spot,” Sobaram said. “That created a lot of intercampus trips.”

Students like senior Kevin Peterson chose the yellow zone because of its proximity to the Wellness Center. However, he will consider switching to the new Mahoney-Pearson zone to get assured parking near his classes.

“I usually park in front of the BUC because I don’t like garages, and most spots are packed early,” he said. “I would try to get the white zone because it’s near my classes at Merrick.”

Peterson, however, feels that the division of the yellow zone will not have much of an effect on easing parking problems. Others like sophomore Karam Alawa believe that this may help.

“I think so, but only time will tell,” Alawa said. “Last year it cost $400 to park in all areas when it now costs the same to park only in yellow.”

Though many seek to claim the new zones’ close distance to classes and the central area of campus, freshman Stefania Pinto is worried that the division of yellow will affect the options she had within the yellow zone.

“I’m probably going to switch to Pavia, so I’m not happy with the division,” she said. “Because I’m a psychology major, I take a lot of classes at Flipse, and I park next to the BUC and Rainbow Building to get to class.”

Pinto also felt that the new floors of Pavia should have been completed sooner. According to Sobaram, the new levels will be open by this upcoming fall semester and the first floor will be reserved for visitors.

Parking permits can be purchased online via the Department of Parking and Transportation’s website. Faculty and students have different dates that determine when they can apply for a permit. Starting June 18, faculty and staff are eligible to purchase. Returning students must wait until July 2 and all new students on July 16.

If an applicant’s first choice zone is not available during the time of purchase, he or she is placed on a waiting list. Once the permit becomes available, it will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis.

Permits for the purple, red, white, pink, gray and yellow zones will cost $458 for the entire year since purchase, but the department will also offer a fall only permit that costs $229. The blue zone for residents will be $492 for the year and $246 for the fall only. The green zone at the Ponce Garage will be $234 for the year.

For more information, visit miami.edu/ref/index.php/parking_and_transportation.

Parking permit prices

$234 – Yearly green zone permit at the Ponce Garage

$458 – Yearly permit for the purple, red, white, pink, gray and yellow zones or $229 for the fall semester only

$492 – Yearly blue zone permit for residents or $246 for the fall semester only

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...