Networking opportunities abound on campus

Landing a job after college is not as simple as taking a career assessment and maintaining a good GPA.  It actually lies in getting involved with the various organizations on campus and taking advantage of their many career-related events. Numerous famous alumni and keynote speakers, honor societies, fraternities and sororities are some of the main advocates of this new job search method.

“Beta Alpha Psi got me an internship with a Big Four firm which I will now be working with full time,” senior Erica Anderson said.

UM’s Beta Alpha Psi chapter, Beta Xi, promotes financial information with initiatives, such as the Accounting Career Fair and visits from prominent business companies like J.P. Morgan and Crowe Horwath.

On the other hand, Zeta Tau Alpha focuses on creating a support system between alumni and current members. A weekly newsletter informs members of on-campus opportunities and Zeta events. A mentoring program also connects members with fellow Zeta members and alumni.

Shefali Mandhle, the former first vice president of UM’s Zeta chapter, relied on alumni and fellow members to aid her with academic life and during her medical school application process.

“The advice helped me choose where to apply. It is helpful to know that I am not the only pre-med student in Zeta,” Mandhle said. “I know I cannot fall behind.”

The culmination of Zeta’s networking efforts is the annual spring fashion show, which showcases Zeta sisterhood. Not only did the event feature an alumna as its host this year, but several graduated Zeta’s were also in attendance.

For students who are not heavily involved, the Toppel Career Center also provides a multitude of similar services.

According to Edward Cruz, assistant director of Toppel, one of the easiest ways to network with employers is to use hireacane.com and its calendar.

Keeping up with the latest in social media, Toppel recently joined linkedin.com. This allows students and alumni to use a familiar online interface with a professional edge. Cruz believes that it will enhance the traditional networking experience.

“Linkedin.com focuses on the college student, letting him or her connect with alumni and other students with jobs,” he said.

Toppel also hosts hour-long information sessions with companies like Microsoft, on-campus recruiting and the Canes Career Club, which lets students hear first-hand experiences from alumni.

“Everyone at Toppel puts so much time and energy into these events, hoping to see students succeed,” Cruz said.

With the variety of available resources, students now notice the difference that a club or society can have on future goals.

“Because of my internship I do not have to worry about jobs for the rest of my senior year and master’s program,” Anderson said.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...