Gypsies, jousts and magical feasts

The Renaissance Festival makes its way to Miami every year, and it’s a sight to see.

Usually passing through in late March to early April, you’ll get the chance to joust, wear a crown, and even feed a bear. Although it may seem like an unconventional way to spend the weekend, it’s definitely worth stepping out of your comfort zone for this event.

Here are the top five things to check out when you hit up the festival.

1. Watch a Performance

Gypsy dancers, wild animal exhibits and jousting are just a few of the interactive shows you can catch at the festival.

Comedy routines call for audience participation. Singing troupes travel around the festival, serenading attendees.

For those who are daring, knife throwing and fire juggling are just some of the festival performers’ crazy skills.

2. Feast Like A King

In typical Ren Fest style, you can catch the smell of giant juicy turkey legs while you take a stroll by the food stands.

Full ears of corn, funnel cakes, chocolate dips, cheescakes, candy apples and an assortment of fried foods fill the main path.

3. Play A Game

Looking for an adventure? Sword fighting and spear throwing are just two of the games with a medieval twist at the festival.

For the more faint of heart, giant chess and jenga are up for grabs.

Instead of knocking over bottles, why not knock over priests? Looking to take on your friends in a water balloon fight? You’re at the right place.

Many of the other game stands, including skee ball, also have a Renaissance twist. The games are priced at around $5 to $10.

And if you’re looking to really shake it up, pay $2 to feed  grapes to a bear.

4. Arts and Crafts

If you’re a fan of wax exhibits, you’re in luck. Festival attendees can create a wax molding of their hands in any pose. You can also create your own caricature.

Other exhibits include an area that features artists who create personalized pieces of blown glass and even a station to make your own recycled paper with flowers and reeds pressed in. For a little extra pizzazz, create a personalized seal for your stationery.

If You Go:

What: Florida Renaissance Festival

When: late March to early April

Where: Cauley Square Historic Villiage, 22400 Old Dixie Highway, Miami

For more info: Visit ren-fest.com

Sarah Hall

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

We are seeing another sign of a football program’s growing strength and maturation as Mark Richt unf ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

Miami's offense shook off a slow start to the series, and the Hurricanes departed Durham Bulls ...

View some of the best pictures from the No. 31 Miami women's tennis team's 5-2 victory ove ...

The No. 31 Miami women's tennis team posted its seventh win in the past eight outings by toppin ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team was just a point away from its first true road victor ...

The University of Miami rowing team closed out its spring opener at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...