Gypsies, jousts and magical feasts

The Renaissance Festival makes its way to Miami every year, and it’s a sight to see.

Usually passing through in late March to early April, you’ll get the chance to joust, wear a crown, and even feed a bear. Although it may seem like an unconventional way to spend the weekend, it’s definitely worth stepping out of your comfort zone for this event.

Here are the top five things to check out when you hit up the festival.

1. Watch a Performance

Gypsy dancers, wild animal exhibits and jousting are just a few of the interactive shows you can catch at the festival.

Comedy routines call for audience participation. Singing troupes travel around the festival, serenading attendees.

For those who are daring, knife throwing and fire juggling are just some of the festival performers’ crazy skills.

2. Feast Like A King

In typical Ren Fest style, you can catch the smell of giant juicy turkey legs while you take a stroll by the food stands.

Full ears of corn, funnel cakes, chocolate dips, cheescakes, candy apples and an assortment of fried foods fill the main path.

3. Play A Game

Looking for an adventure? Sword fighting and spear throwing are just two of the games with a medieval twist at the festival.

For the more faint of heart, giant chess and jenga are up for grabs.

Instead of knocking over bottles, why not knock over priests? Looking to take on your friends in a water balloon fight? You’re at the right place.

Many of the other game stands, including skee ball, also have a Renaissance twist. The games are priced at around $5 to $10.

And if you’re looking to really shake it up, pay $2 to feed  grapes to a bear.

4. Arts and Crafts

If you’re a fan of wax exhibits, you’re in luck. Festival attendees can create a wax molding of their hands in any pose. You can also create your own caricature.

Other exhibits include an area that features artists who create personalized pieces of blown glass and even a station to make your own recycled paper with flowers and reeds pressed in. For a little extra pizzazz, create a personalized seal for your stationery.

If You Go:

What: Florida Renaissance Festival

When: late March to early April

Where: Cauley Square Historic Villiage, 22400 Old Dixie Highway, Miami

For more info: Visit ren-fest.com

Sarah Hall

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...