Executive branch looks forward to next year

Student Government (SG) President Nawara Alawa looks forward to working with the newly appointed SG executive branch members in the fall.

“I am extremely excited,” Alawa said. “We have fresh ideas, an elegant mix of old and new officers, and the determination to leave students and the university in a better place than we found it.”

The Executive Board consists of the three members of the “Inspired by U” ticket: President Alawa, Vice President Caitlin Giles and Treasurer Kenny Esman. Along with the three aforementioned elected individuals, the executive branch is comprised of five appointed positions, and two positions elected by Senate, along with representatives from Category 5, the Elections Commission, the Supreme Court, and the new ECO agency. The ECO agency will serve as a green advisory board.

“We want to make sure SG continues successfully for the next couple of years,” Alawa said.

Here’s a look at some of the newest members of the executive branch.

Chief of Staff

Junior Melissa Guller will serve as the chief of staff for the Inspired by U team. She previously served as the executive-in-large internal under the Taking U Forward administration.

Guller will be in charge of overseeing the SG advisory boards and various Executive Board initiatives. She will report directly to Alawa.

“I think the new officers have a lot of potential to lead us to an outstanding year,” Guller said.

Executive-at-Large External

Sophomore Bhumi Patel was appointed to the executive-at-large external position. She was previously the co-chair of the Dining Service Advisory Board and a member of the President’s 100 and the Homecoming Executive Committee.

Patel’s role will be to respond to student concerns, and to connect SG with students and organizations.

Executive-at-Large Internal

Sophomore Michaela Hennessey will serve as the executive-at-large internal. She will be responsible for facilitating communication between the branches of SG and arranging SG-wide events.

“She can create the fluidity between exec board and the Senate,” Alawa said.

Hennessy has previously served as a executive secretary.

Executive Secretary

Freshman Alessandria San Roman will serve as the executive secretary. She was previously a member of Cabinet.

“Ashley Taggart recommended her as one of the hardest working members of Cabinet,” Alawa said.

San Roman will be responsible for organizing meetings and working with the Executive Board to accomplish initiatives.

Speaker of the Senate

Junior Parker Barnett was elected by the Senate to the position of Speaker of the Senate. In this role, Parker will be in charge of Senate and will serve as a link between the Senate and the Executive Board. He has served in Senate for the past three years.

Speaker Pro-tempore 

Junior Douglas Aguililla was elected by the Senate to serve as the speaker pro-tempore. He will be responsible for running the senate committees and will act as ranking senator. He will also be in charge of appointing the four committee chairmen as well as the vice chairmen.

Aguililla has been involved in Student Government since his freshman year in Senate and Category 5.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...