Executive branch looks forward to next year

Student Government (SG) President Nawara Alawa looks forward to working with the newly appointed SG executive branch members in the fall.

“I am extremely excited,” Alawa said. “We have fresh ideas, an elegant mix of old and new officers, and the determination to leave students and the university in a better place than we found it.”

The Executive Board consists of the three members of the “Inspired by U” ticket: President Alawa, Vice President Caitlin Giles and Treasurer Kenny Esman. Along with the three aforementioned elected individuals, the executive branch is comprised of five appointed positions, and two positions elected by Senate, along with representatives from Category 5, the Elections Commission, the Supreme Court, and the new ECO agency. The ECO agency will serve as a green advisory board.

“We want to make sure SG continues successfully for the next couple of years,” Alawa said.

Here’s a look at some of the newest members of the executive branch.

Chief of Staff

Junior Melissa Guller will serve as the chief of staff for the Inspired by U team. She previously served as the executive-in-large internal under the Taking U Forward administration.

Guller will be in charge of overseeing the SG advisory boards and various Executive Board initiatives. She will report directly to Alawa.

“I think the new officers have a lot of potential to lead us to an outstanding year,” Guller said.

Executive-at-Large External

Sophomore Bhumi Patel was appointed to the executive-at-large external position. She was previously the co-chair of the Dining Service Advisory Board and a member of the President’s 100 and the Homecoming Executive Committee.

Patel’s role will be to respond to student concerns, and to connect SG with students and organizations.

Executive-at-Large Internal

Sophomore Michaela Hennessey will serve as the executive-at-large internal. She will be responsible for facilitating communication between the branches of SG and arranging SG-wide events.

“She can create the fluidity between exec board and the Senate,” Alawa said.

Hennessy has previously served as a executive secretary.

Executive Secretary

Freshman Alessandria San Roman will serve as the executive secretary. She was previously a member of Cabinet.

“Ashley Taggart recommended her as one of the hardest working members of Cabinet,” Alawa said.

San Roman will be responsible for organizing meetings and working with the Executive Board to accomplish initiatives.

Speaker of the Senate

Junior Parker Barnett was elected by the Senate to the position of Speaker of the Senate. In this role, Parker will be in charge of Senate and will serve as a link between the Senate and the Executive Board. He has served in Senate for the past three years.

Speaker Pro-tempore 

Junior Douglas Aguililla was elected by the Senate to serve as the speaker pro-tempore. He will be responsible for running the senate committees and will act as ranking senator. He will also be in charge of appointing the four committee chairmen as well as the vice chairmen.

Aguililla has been involved in Student Government since his freshman year in Senate and Category 5.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...