Campus’ hidden gem for study breaks, nature

If you are familiar with the John C. Gifford Arboretum, chances are you’ve either slaved away too long in a physics or chemistry lab, or you’ve strolled out there for a late night hook-up. But the Arboretum has more to offer than a dark secluded corner or a break from crunching data.

Located on the northwest side of campus, adjacent to the Knight Physics building, University of Miami’s Arboretum was planted in 1947 and named after Gifford, a former  professor of tropical forestry. The garden now boasts more than 400 species of plants. Many of the native species attract local birds and insects.

“It’s a nice break when you’re studying hard,” said Steve Pearson, the newly appointed Arboretum director. “The Arboretum is a very peaceful, beautiful place. Communing with nature is very relaxing and it’s a healthy, beautiful thing to do.”

And the Arboretum is not filled with typical native plants. The Maya Cocoa Garden has trees like the Maya Popcorn tree and the Ice Cream Bean tree, whose names are enough to make you hungry.

If you are actually hungry though, the Arboretum is filled with edible plants, like white and black sapote, dragonfruit and key limes. Pearson warns visitors not to eat anything unless they are completely sure of what the plant is, or they have a guide with them.

Over the years, the Arboretum has survived multiple attempts to remove the plants for construction. Most recently, the Coral Gables Commission voted in favor of creating a road through campus to ease traffic on San Amaro Drive. The plans, however, have been postponed indefinitely.

“It’s my hope that we’ve put the parking issue to bed forever,” Pearson said.

The Friends of the Arboretum host monthly meetings and feature guest lecturers. In December, they host their annual Arboretum picnic.

For more information, visit bio.miami.edu/arboretum or call 305-284-3973.

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...