An eye on hurricane safety

Hurricane season began June 1 and runs through Nov. 30. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the federal agency focused on the condition of the oceans and the atmosphere, identify these months as generally seeing the most storm activity. Though NOAA predicts a “near-normal 2012 Atlantic hurricane season,” the agency stresses the importance of being prepared for the possibility of a hurricane arriving on land. This year alone, “NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center believes that there’s approximately a 70 percent chance of nine to 15 named storms (with top winds of 39 mph or higher).”

Don’t save any for the fish: Keep several containers filled with water for drinking in case water supply is cut off after a major storm.

Fill ‘er up: Clean the tub and fill it halfway. In case there is a water shortage, the bathtub water could be used for washing or flushing toilets.

Don’t be afraid of the dark: In case of a power outage, do not use candles or other flammable lighting. Instead, buy a couple of flashlights and stock up on fresh batteries.

Get your snack on: Although on-campus food service will be open as long as possible during an emergency, make sure to have non-perishable food items stocked, as well as snack foods.

Fuel the fire: Fill a plastic gas tank with fuel before a hurricane. If a power failure occurs, gas pumps will not work to fill up your car.

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...