An eye on hurricane safety

Hurricane season began June 1 and runs through Nov. 30. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the federal agency focused on the condition of the oceans and the atmosphere, identify these months as generally seeing the most storm activity. Though NOAA predicts a “near-normal 2012 Atlantic hurricane season,” the agency stresses the importance of being prepared for the possibility of a hurricane arriving on land. This year alone, “NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center believes that there’s approximately a 70 percent chance of nine to 15 named storms (with top winds of 39 mph or higher).”

Don’t save any for the fish: Keep several containers filled with water for drinking in case water supply is cut off after a major storm.

Fill ‘er up: Clean the tub and fill it halfway. In case there is a water shortage, the bathtub water could be used for washing or flushing toilets.

Don’t be afraid of the dark: In case of a power outage, do not use candles or other flammable lighting. Instead, buy a couple of flashlights and stock up on fresh batteries.

Get your snack on: Although on-campus food service will be open as long as possible during an emergency, make sure to have non-perishable food items stocked, as well as snack foods.

Fuel the fire: Fill a plastic gas tank with fuel before a hurricane. If a power failure occurs, gas pumps will not work to fill up your car.

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

It’s dress rehearsal time for the Miami Hurricanes. On Thursday morning, the Hurricanes will conduct ...

Coach Mark Richt had just told the young man who grew up loving the Miami Hurricanes that he would b ...

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' practice on Wed., Aug. 23, 2017. … Click to Continue » ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...