An eye on hurricane safety

Hurricane season began June 1 and runs through Nov. 30. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the federal agency focused on the condition of the oceans and the atmosphere, identify these months as generally seeing the most storm activity. Though NOAA predicts a “near-normal 2012 Atlantic hurricane season,” the agency stresses the importance of being prepared for the possibility of a hurricane arriving on land. This year alone, “NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center believes that there’s approximately a 70 percent chance of nine to 15 named storms (with top winds of 39 mph or higher).”

Don’t save any for the fish: Keep several containers filled with water for drinking in case water supply is cut off after a major storm.

Fill ‘er up: Clean the tub and fill it halfway. In case there is a water shortage, the bathtub water could be used for washing or flushing toilets.

Don’t be afraid of the dark: In case of a power outage, do not use candles or other flammable lighting. Instead, buy a couple of flashlights and stock up on fresh batteries.

Get your snack on: Although on-campus food service will be open as long as possible during an emergency, make sure to have non-perishable food items stocked, as well as snack foods.

Fuel the fire: Fill a plastic gas tank with fuel before a hurricane. If a power failure occurs, gas pumps will not work to fill up your car.

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...