Extension will connect Metrorail to Miami airport

Popular student Metrorail stops

The Metrorail runs from 5 a.m. to midnight, seven days a week. Service to the airport is scheduled to begin at noon on July 28. To view the train scheule, visit miamidade.gov/transit.

Construction of the 2.4-mile elevated extension to the Metrorail, connecting Dadeland South station to Miami International Airport, is on track.

The “AirportLink” extension, slated to open July 28, will connect Earlington Heights station to a new public transportation center just northeast of the airport. Earlington Heights is 11 stops away from the University Metrorail station, the stop located across from the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus on Ponce de Leon Boulevard.

Traveling to the airport from University station would take approximately 30 minutes. Train service between Dadeland South and Earlington Heights stations will double in frequency after construction, decreasing wait time.

Irene Ferradaz, a public information officer for Miami-Dade Transit, expects a 12 percent increase in ridership during the first year.

Ferradaz said the extension will help students because, among other reasons, it “cuts down on hassles driving to the airport, wrestling with traffic, looking for a place to park and having to take a taxi.”

At the public transportation center, passengers will be able to connect to airport terminals via the Automated People Mover. There will also be access to the Tri-Rail, county buses, taxis and a rental car center. This hub will be completed in the fall of 2013, after the AirportLink.

Senior Giovany Delgado has ridden the Metrorail every day for the last 10 years, and plans to take advantage of the extension.

“Honestly, it’s about time they invested in a direct line to the airport,” he said. “Miami-Dade should continue investing in more lines to alleviate traffic.”

The $506-million extension is part of the larger People’s Transportation Plan (PTP), and is the first major extension since the Metrorail was opened in 1984. In 2002, Miami-Dade voters approved a half-penny sales tax increase to finance the PTP and, by extension, this project. The remaining $101.3 million was covered by the Florida Department of Transportation.

The PTP and its $17 billion budget also includes the plan to add more buses and routes, improve service, expand rapid transit and create thousands of transportation and construction-related jobs over the next 25 years, according to Ferradaz.

Despite the significant cost of construction, fares will remain the same at $2 a ride.

Allison Goodman

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...