‘Babycakes’ continues to sweeten students’ days

As students bustle through the University of Miami food court, ordering Canes chops, calling out to their friends, discussing weekend plans, one voice rings out above the rest.

“Have a nice day, my babycakes!”

Johnnie Mae Dawson, a cashier at Mango and Manny’s, the food court vendor specializing in Caribbean cuisine and chop chops, has been making hungry students smile for the past 16 years.

As students hand Dawson their cash, Cane Cards and credit cards, she doesn’t hesitate to call them any variation of “pookie,” “sweetheart,” “mama” and most notably, “babycakes.”

“I love greeting you all, my babycakes,” Dawson said. “I love being able to say ‘Okay my babies, come on through.’”

Students have come to know her as “Babycakes” and many order food from Mango and Manny’s just to hear her friendly voice.

Upon hearing the word babycakes, recent UM graduate Steven Rico immediately turned around in excitement.

“Oh my god, I love Babycakes!” Rico said. “She makes you want to be sweeter.”

Dawson, a Georgia native, has lived in Miami since 1958. In 1995, Dawson started working with UM’s Chartwells.

“All the students here have such amazing personalities, and we have a friendly staff that cares about one another,” Dawson said.

At UM, she’s also able to work by her only daughter Monique who works the cash register at Wendy’s right next door. Monique doesn’t mind working in the same place as her mother. In fact, she takes advantage of the fact that she can see her on a daily basis.

As an only child, Monique is used to her mother’s sweet demeanor.

She recognizes that Dawson’s goal is to put a smile on the face of every person that walks by.

“She’s been like that her whole life. It’s all I know,” Monique said. “She gives her life to everybody and tries to treat every student as they’re her own child.”

According to Monique, her mother’s personality has rubbed off on her. As people go by Wendy’s, she can’t help but call everybody “sweetie.”

“It’s just me and my mom’s personality,” Monique said. “It’s something that’s within us.”

Aside from serving the students that she loves, Dawson lives for her daughter, her three grandchildren, Kamron, Kamari and Kamaya, and the church.

“Church is my favorite place to go,” Dawson said. “I love the church.”

Senior Danny Parra, a broadcast journalism and Latin American studies major who profiled Dawson for a UMTV Newsvision report, followed Dawson and her family to her church in Coconut Grove.

According to Parra, Dawson’s faith is what makes her so compassionate.

“She really believes that there’s a plan and that no matter how bad things are, they can get better and will get better,” Parra said. “Even though she doesn’t know you she’ll do anything she can to help you.”

Dawson relishes the opportunity to cheer up her customers.

She uses babycakes as a way to connect with students and make their days more lively.

“I can just say, ‘What’s the matter my babycakes?’ and it makes their days better,” Dawson said. “I’m here to help them uplift themselves.”

June 14, 2012

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

Lots of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday, with the second spring practice session set for Thursday mo ...

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

As part of the “It’s On Us” initiative, the former vice president urged the UM community to help com ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Freshman Daniel Federman will look to make it wins in two straight starts when the Miami Hurricanes ...

Junior Dewi Weber will become the first University of Miami golfer to compete in the Arnold Palmer C ...

The Hurricanes opened spring practice on Tuesday, officially beginning preparations for the 2018 sea ...

For the second week in a row, Estela Perez-Somarriba and Ulyana Shirokova of the Miami women's ...

University of Miami men's tennis senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were named ...