New club gets members’ motors running

Canes can now strap on their helmets and ride their Harley Davidson bikes to the next meeting of the recently-founded Descendants Motorcycle Club.

The club, which is up-and-running after about a year of work, aims to gather motorcycle enthusiasts among the university’s student body and faculty through a recreational club, President Michael Critch said.

Vice President Enrico Dominguez heard a motorcycle club was in the works from the Student Activities staff when he applied to start his own.

“I contacted Mike Critch, who was the active president, and asked him if he would mind taking on my logo and name, and I would get involved and help promote the club,” Dominguez said. “We teamed up and are making it happen.”

Interested members that do not ride motorcycles can join the club, learn to ride through classes and get licensed through the state of Florida.

The club’s executive board members can also help students choose their first bikes.

“It can be intimidating trying to get into motorcycling, but I think with joining this club we can help more people discover the thrill of motorcycling,” Dominguez said.

The club’s goal is to promote motorcycling as a fun recreational activity by providing information on rides in the community, local events, club meetings, licensing opportunities and safety awareness.

“It is important for our university to have an organization that promotes this alternative form of transportation, and encourages students and faculty that choose to ride rather than drive,” Critch said.

Through group rides, members can rack up the mileage on their bikes, gain experience and find new friendships along the way.

“You’re not just joining in an activity,” Critch said. “You’re also becoming a part of a passionate community of people who are dedicated to the experiences that motorcycling provides.”

May 19, 2012

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...